Assistant Professor - Music Education - Full-time / Part-time
Ellensburg, WA 98926
Central Washington University Department of Music and the College of Arts of Humanities invites applicants for a Music Education position at the rank of Assistant Professor to begin September 2023. We seek a passionate musical colleague with a strong commitment to music education. We seek candidates with demonstrated potential to contribute effectively to a faculty team dedicated to creating a positive, dynamic, and inclusive learning environment for an increasingly diverse student population. Faculty will integrate CWU's commitment to diversity and create a learning environment that is welcoming, accessible and inclusive for all students.
The Assistant Professor of Music Education will provide outstanding leadership of the undergraduate instrumental/choral music education program through collaboration/partnership with the CWU Office of Field Experience and School of Education for the placement of teaching candidates; teach courses in classroom methods (instrumental/choral/general depending on strength of applicant), techniques (instrumental/vocal), assessment and classroom management. Additional duties such as undergraduate conducting, applied instruction, general education, and ensembles will be considered based on qualifications, experience, and available workload.
The successful candidate will be expected to actively recruit for the Department of Music and mentor/advise undergraduate music education students.
Who we are:
We are a team of individuals committed to Changing Students' Lives. No matter what job, each of us plays a part in supporting and empowering our students to fulfill their dreams.
Working in higher education provides career growth and career choice. Think of a university campus like a mini city, operating across 380 acres. You'll find diverse academics, libraries, athletics and sporting events, full service and quick serve dining, conferences and events from small to large, recreation centers, housing for ~10,000 students, health services, police and public safety.
For the seventh time in eight years, CWU is a recipient of the prestigious Higher Education Excellence in Diversity (HEED) Award from INSIGHT Into Diversity magazine. Come join us on our journey to encourage, inspire, and create spaces where all identities thrive on campus.
Tour our campus in Ellensburg here.
What we offer:
Our investment in you begins the day you join our team, a healthy and successful future for you is important to us. We offer medical, dental, life and disability insurance, retirement and optional savings plans, tuition assistance for you and your dependents, discounts across town, an employee assistance program for individualized counseling, and a wellness incentive program. Learn more: .
- Master's degree in Music
- A minimum of five years of K-12 and/or University teaching experience
- Demonstrated excellence in teaching
- Willingness to teach a range of music education courses at all levels and modalities
- Teaching, research, service or other experience that has prepared the candidate to contribute to CWU's commitment to the engagement and inclusion of culturally diverse students.
- Earned doctorate in music
- Experience in curriculum development and improvement
- Experience in collegiate music-teacher education
- A record of promoting diversity in classrooms and academic work environments
- A record of engagement and inclusion of culturally diverse students
- Accountability/Dependability: Accepts responsibility for quality of own work; acknowledges and corrects mistakes. Shows up on time, meets standards, deadlines and work schedules.
- Judgement: Makes timely, informed decisions. Analyzes options and determines appropriate course of action.
- Teamwork: Promotes cooperation and mutual support to achieve goals. Encourages participation and mutual support.
- Adaptability/Flexibility: Responds positively to changing business needs and responsibilities. Adapts approach and methods to achieve results; recovers quickly from setbacks and finds alternatives.
- Commitment to Diversity: Recognizes the value of diversity and helps create environment that supports and embraces diversity.
Salary: Commensurate with education and experience
Appointment: Full-Time, Tenure-Track, 9 Month Appointment. Additional Summer teaching may be available.
Benefits: CWU offers a comprehensive benefits package including health insurance, retirement and optional savings plans, life and disability insurance.
Additional Information: For additional information about the University, visit:
For additional information about Ellensburg, visit: