Operator Apprentice - Full-time
Urania, LA 71480
What you will do:
- Must be willing to perform entry level lumberyard duties, housekeeping duties, including use of a shovel, ground keeping, painting, janitorial, etc.
- Must be willing to stack various lengths of lumber
- May be assigned tasked indoors and outdoors, no matter the weather conditions
- Monitor lumber movement
- Move lumber through the process ensuring no lumber cross-ups
- Clear jammed lumber as necessary
- Assist others as necessary
- Perform quality checks
- Perform safety observations
- Follow all Safe Work Procedures
- Follow all Zero Energy State procedures
- Utilize downtime or slow time to enhance the appearance and productivity of the department
- Perform all job assignments in an effective and timely manner with minimal supervision
- Operate necessary equipment according to procedures
- Monitor assigned area and related area visually and via monitor screen.
- Remove/straighten out cross-ups using pike pole or picaroon
- Inspection of equipment
- Servicing and minor adjustments to the equipment (when necessary)
- Preventative maintenance
- Assist maintenance with servicing of equipment
- Cleaning of the equipment
- Documentation and reporting of results
- Daily greasing of necessary equipment and/or related equipment
What you need to be successful:
- High School Diploma or GED
- Minimum age of 18 years
- Excellent safety record
- Follow all safety criteria and contribute to the safety program
- Follow all electrical safety standards
- Willing to work any shift
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Good interpersonal skills
- Excellent attendance record
- Demonstrable mechanical aptitude
- Basic maintenance skills
- Capability to troubleshoot issues and diagnose problems within the department and/or related equipment.
- Able to maintain or assist with maintaining the assigned area and/or related equipment.
- Capability to perform preventative maintenance on your assigned machine
- Able to climb ladders and work in elevated workplaces
- Capable of working in tight close spaces
- Ability to make quality control checks and adjustments at the assigned area and/or other related equipment.
- Ability to keep the department clean and meet housekeeping standards.
- Willingness and ability to learn and use some basic computer-related operating skills
- Willing to train others within the department and/or related equipment
- Willing to cross-train on other equipment
What will make you stand out:
- Minimum of six (6) months in a manufacturing or industrial environment
With our highly competitive compensation package and outstanding benefits, you will get:
- Benefits starting Day 1
- Wellness Pay Program
- Competitive starting pay
- On-the-job training
- A culture that strongly believes in promoting from within
- 401k with company match
- Life Insurance
- Disability Insurance
- Paid vacations and holidays
Safety is one of West Fraser's core values and our employees can expect a challenging, stable work environment with career development opportunities.
If you are ready to build your career in a company that thrives on growth, a safe work environment, rewarding work, challenge, and opportunity, come build your career with us at West Fraser:
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Please apply through our online application process as resumes will not be accepted at the site. No phone inquiries, please.
Offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a pre-employment background check, a drug screen test, and a physical.
West Fraser is a diversified wood products company producing lumber, OSB, LVL, MDF, plywood, pulp, newsprint, wood chips, and energy with over 60 facilities in Canada, the United States, and Europe. We are the largest lumber producer in North America, a leading global manufacturer of wood-based panels, and the world’s largest producer of oriented strand board (OSB).
We are a growing company, believe strongly in promoting from within, and pride ourselves on providing a challenging environment with continuous development. The successful candidate should be interested in future growth opportunities within the company. We offer a competitive benefits package including, medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short and long-term disability, 401-k savings plans with company match, and vacation.
West Fraser believes inclusive, diverse teams build a more vibrant workforce, safer operations, and a stronger company overall. We strive to create workplaces and leadership teams that are reflective of the diverse communities we are a part of. We will not discriminate against any applicant for employment on the basis of race, gender, national origin, or any other protected legal characteristic.
West Fraser is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/D & Drug-Free Workplace