Tax Accountant - Full-time / Part-time
Huntingtown, MD 20639
Have you heard? The
Wills Group is Great Place to Work Certified™! We’re proud of this achievement
and our people who make greatness happen. Want to join a company that puts its
Job Purpose and Function
The essential function of the Tax Staff Accountant is to review and maintain the accuracy of all general ledger accounts relating to all jurisdiction taxes. This position is responsible for preparation of petroleum taxes to multiple states and counties. Preparing sales & use tax returns, business license taxes, and real estate tax payments form an integral portion of the responsibilities of this position. In addition, this position also coordinates all external tax audits and renews all licensing and bond requirements. This position assists with operating statement review, related entries, supporting schedules and reconciliations. An additional key component of the position includes identifying and implementing improvements in key business processes.
How You’ll Make an Impact
- Owns the preparation of tax returns, examines accounts, and calculates taxes owed according to prescribed rates, laws, and regulations by required deadlines.
- Contributes to a positive work environment and works with others in the department and the company to foster a team-based approach to problem-solving.
- Ensures all expenditures are accurately recorded and reported to control the organization’s budgeted commitments.
- Undertakes a variety of assignments that have clear and specific objectives, requiring knowledge of principles and techniques commonly employed, e.g. – coordinating and providing financial and operating information for compilation of tax returns.
- Coordinates and completes various tax returns by required deadlines.
- Provides financial accounting staff with technical tax advice and assistance in tax matters as necessary.
- Prepares and carries out initial investigations into tax issues.
- Prepares reports and studies for management as requested.
- Corresponds and negotiates with government revenue agencies at a tactical level.
What We’re Looking For
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or related field; alternatively, a minimum of 3 years of general ledger and additional progressive tax accounting experience will be considered in the absence of an undergraduate degree.
- A minimum of 3 years of progressive broad-based accounting experience in a private, corporate environment
- Strong research and analytical skills are essential.
- Advanced expertise in Excel
- Financial management
- Technical accounting capacity
- High level of attention to detail
- Outstanding ability to meet recurring deadlines imposed by taxing authorities
- Strong analytical skillset
- Service and action-oriented mindset
An ideal candidate will also have:
- Broad-based accounting experience in a retail environment
- Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system experience; PDI preferred.
- Proven ability to deliver results and meet customer expectations
- Enjoys working with and supporting others
- Ability to adapt and respond to change
- Analysis proficiency and aptitude to drive business solutions and decisions
- Applies expertise and stays current on industry best practices, trends, and technology
Why You Should Join Wills Group
We are a $1.5 billion company headquartered in La Plata, Maryland (an easy 45-minute reverse commute from DC) with nearly 300 retail locations across the Mid-Atlantic region, including Dash In, Splash In ECO Car Wash, and SMO Motor Fuels. A family-owned company since 1926, our passion areas are in convenience retailing, fuels marketing, and commercial real estate and we pride ourselves on keeping our customers', employees' and communities’ Lives in Motion.
Our Wills Group employees come to work for more than just a paycheck, but rather they come to learn, make contributions, make an impact, and feel valued as a part of our family-friendly culture. We have a work-hard, play-hard mentality that makes us a progressive company and we thrive on giving back to our community. That is what is core to our DNA.
Benefits and Perks
Are you interested in joining a certified Great Place to Work™ that invests in your development, future, and well-being? Are you looking for more than the "daily grind" where your day-to-day work makes an impact not only for the organization but for your community and your future? Then The Wills Group is the right fit for you.
We take pride in investing in our people’s well-being, that’s why we back our words with competitive total rewards packages.
- Financial Wellbeing –Employer 401 (k) match (currently at 7%), health savings plan, and financial planning
- Physical Wellbeing – comprehensive health, vision, and dental plans that meet the needs of our people
- Paid Time Off – Vacation, Sick, Personal, and Community Engagement, Parental Leave for new Moms and Dads
- Work/Life Balance – Hybrid and Flexible work environment, Employee Assistance Program, Travel Assistance, Family Life Planning
- Education and Development Opportunities – 100% Tuition reimbursement to support our people’s education goals, robust development programs, and certificate program assistance (up to 100% employer-paid)
- Competitive Salary - competitive pay matched to DC Metro area
Wills Group strives to maintain a COVID-free workplace. While being vaccinated is not a requirement, we offer a $150 COVID vaccination incentive payout in the paycheck following submission of proof of vaccination. Further details and instructions will be provided during onboarding.
- Job Family Finance & Accounting
- Pay Type Salary
- Min Hiring Rate $67,200.00
- Max Hiring Rate $84,000.00
- Travel Required No
- Telecommute % 60
- Required Education High School