Similar available jobs
in Ellensburg, WA
- Central Washington University • 3d ago
- Central Washington University • 3d ago
Academic Advisor - College of Education and Professional Studies - Full-time / Part-time
Ellensburg, WA 98926
Central Washington University is recruiting an Academic Advisor to join the College of Education and Professional Studies team in Ellensburg, Washington. This role is an important member of our team as they provide advising and support to students in the College of Education and Professional Studies. The role is a campus-based position, which means you get to see the lives you are impacting. We're offering a salary, depending on experience, from $48,000 - $53,000 annually plus the awesome CWU benefits.
Who we are:
We are a team of individuals committed to Changing Students' Lives. No matter what job, each of us plays a part in supporting and empowering our students to fulfill their dreams.
Working in higher education provides career growth and career choice. Think of a university campus like a mini city, operating across 380 acres. You'll find diverse academics, libraries, athletics and sporting events, full service and quick serve dining, conferences and events from small to large, recreation centers, housing for ~10,000 students, health services, police and public safety.
For the seventh time in eight years, CWU is a recipient of the prestigious Higher Education Excellence in Diversity (HEED) Award from INSIGHT Into Diversity magazine. Come join us on our journey to encourage, inspire, and create spaces where all identities thrive on campus.
Tour our campus in Ellensburg here.
The Academic Advisor plays a crucial role in supporting students' academic success through delivering individual academic advisement to students in the College of Education and Professional Studies. The College of Education and Professional Studies (CEPS) includes the School of Education, eight academic departments, and ROTC programs.
What we offer:
Our investment in you begins the day you join our team, a healthy and successful future for you is important to us. We offer medical, dental, life and disability insurance, retirement and optional savings plans, tuition assistance for you and your dependents, discounts across town, an employee assistance program for individualized counseling, and a wellness incentive program. Learn more: .
The Academic Advisor's primary role is to deliver individual academic advisement to students who have decided or have an intended major in the College of Education and Professional Studies. This position provides undergraduate advising about CWU's general education curriculum, university requirements, as well as assigned major within the College. The position assists with College and university initiated proactive advising campaigns, and lends additional support to students in academic difficulty or on academic warning/probation. All employees are expected to support CWU's commitment to diversity and to bring and support inclusion into the university environment.
- Maintain a consistent pattern of contact to encourage a trusting relationship through multiple channels of communication
- Advise students about general education, pre-major or major and graduation requirements
- Advise prospective and incoming transfer students
- Guide students in developing a plan of study that meets degree requirements. Assist students with course articulation and recommending appropriate academic course loads and course selections
- Help students make informed academic decisions teaching them how to track their own academic progress, locate and interpret appropriate policies, and to utilize the tools and resources available to them
- Analyze and interpret student data, transcripts, and placement results, as well as university policy and procedures
- Develop strong working relationships with academic departments, programs, faculty, and staff across campus
- Design and deliver presentations to various audiences
- Collaborate with the other advisors, advising staff from other colleges, and other university units, as appropriate
- Support new student orientation and new student program activities where academic advising is concerned, providing information and support to new students and their families
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor's degree in any field
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated willingness and/or experience working collaboratively with students and/or co-workers from a wide range of abilities, backgrounds and experiences
- Demonstrated ability to use Word, Excel, email and/or similar software applications to produce professional written correspondence, create and maintain spreadsheets, and receive and respond to email inquiries, tasks, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently to accomplish tasks and projects
- Commitment to advancing a diverse, equitable, and inclusive learning and working environment
- OR applicable combination of education and/or experience which demonstrates the ability to perform the essential functions of the position
- Master's degree
- Experience with implementation of solutions to facilitate student success, retention, and graduation.
- Additional experience and/or education relevant to academic advising, admissions, counseling, teaching, or student services in higher education
- Evidence of success in reaching diverse groups of students within an institution of higher education
- Life experiences that demonstrate an ability to contribute to CWU's commitment to inclusion and diversity
- Experience or interest in mentoring students from a variety of backgrounds
- Accountability/Dependability: Accepts responsibility for quality of own work; acknowledges and corrects mistakes. Shows up on time, meets standards, deadlines and work schedules.
- Judgement: Makes timely, informed decisions. Analyzes options and determines appropriate course of action.
- Teamwork: Promotes cooperation and mutual support to achieve goals. Encourages participation and mutual support.
- Adaptability/Flexibility: Responds positively to changing business needs and responsibilities. Adapts approach and methods to achieve results; recovers quickly from setbacks and finds alternatives.
- Commitment to Diversity: Recognizes the value of diversity and helps create environment that supports and embraces diversity.
Don't meet every single requirement? At CWU we're dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you're excited about this role but your experience doesn't align perfectly with every requirement, we encourage you to apply anyway. This may be the job for you!
Salary: $48,000 - $53,000 annually dependent upon qualifications
Schedule/Appointment: Monday - Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm (1 hour lunch)
Working Conditions: Work is performed in an indoor office setting with frequent in-person and online interactions. It is essential to be able to remain at a desk/computer workstation for prolonged periods of time, perform extensive data entry and other computer-related tasks and create/maintain filing systems for departmental records. The position requires a certain amount of mobility in order to retrieve files, attend meetings, respond to clients in person, on the phone, and via email. Some evening or weekend work and/or occasional travel may be required.
Benefits: CWU offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical and dental insurance, retirement and optional savings plans, life and disability insurance, along with vacation and sick leave plans depending on employment classification. For additional information please visit:
An employee of CWU may be eligible for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program if the employee has student loans. To learn more, visit: .