The job below is no longer available.
Inpatient Pharmacy Specialist - Full Time with Benefits - Night Shift - Fontana Only - Full-time / Part-time
Silverado, CA 92676
30 days ago
About this job
Under indirect, or direct supervision and based on the understanding of patient variables such as age, sex, and other physical characteristics: monitors or manages the medication therapy of hospitalized or ambulatory patients as assigned; confers with and assists medical personnel in the care and treatment of these patients; provides medication information and pharmacokinetic dosing advice; adjust doses, orders laboratory tests, and administers medications according to established policies & procedures; monitors medication distribution; dispenses, compounds, and distributes pharmacy products. Provides direction to ancillary pharmacy staff. Performs other duties as required.
- Upholds Kaiser Permanentes Policies and Procedures, Principles of Responsibilities and applicable state, federal and local laws.
- Performs sterile and non-sterile compounding.
- In collaboration with the health care team, develops and implements patient-specific plans to optimize medication therapy.
- Monitors the medication therapy to assure optimum therapeutic results.
- Manage and optimize medication therapy based on interpretation of data, assessments, and evaluations of patient outcomes.
- Follows hospital approved collaborative, pharmacokinetic drug therapy management protocols (e.g., adjust drug doses, order laboratory tests, assess therapeutic effectiveness etc.).
- Interviews patients and family members or other designated care givers to obtain information regarding medication use, medication allergies and sensitivities.
- Utilizes that information, as well as pertinent information from other data sources, into the patient's medication management plan.
- Documents the information appropriately in the patients' medical record or other computer systems.
- Advises patients and designated family members or other designated care givers regarding medication, directions for use, storage requirements, medication coordination with diet, importance of compliance, precautions and warnings for medication therapy.
- Advises the patient and designated family members or other designated care givers on the use of medication related devices.
- Provides pharmacokinetic dosing advice to medical personnel.
- Orders and adjusts medication dosages, orders laboratory tests, and administers medication under protocol according to established policies and procedures.
- Monitors the effectiveness and accuracy of the hospital medication distribution system.
- Reviews all medication orders for appropriateness and adherence to the drug formulary.
- Clarifies orders and intervenes when necessary.
- Verifies accuracy of medication preparation and dispensing by pharmacy personnel.
- Provides medical personnel with medication information.
- Identifies potential medication safety issues and works actively to prevent medication errors.
- Reviews patient medical records to detect adverse drug events and assists medical personnel to form treatment plans in response to adverse drug events.
- Evaluates adverse drug events to determine their severity, probability, and preventability for further analysis and review.
- Reviews patients medical record to verify proper delivery and correct administration of medication.
- Ensures appropriate medication storage and security.
- Participates in investigational drug studies as required.
- Participates in problem identification and resolution.
- Consults with supervisors when appropriate.
- Supports a collaborative Labor-Management Partnership environment.
- Reports discrepancies to appropriate medical and/or administrative personnel.
- Develops and tests requirements and specifications for protocols, computer programs, pharmacokinetic dosing and other pharmaceutical care applications.
- Participates in assigned education and training programs.
- Develops and maintains teaching curriculum and conducts educational programs for pharmacy, other medical personnel, and patients.
- Actively participates in rounds, hospital committees, utilization review, quality management programs and other programs as needed.
- Participates actively as a member of the interdisciplinary team during medical emergencies (e.g. Code Blue).
- Performs other duties as required.
- Possesses a minimum of 1500 hours of inpatient pharmacy experience within the last 3 years (e.g., intern pharmacist, pharmacist) or successful completion of an ASHP accredited clinical pharmacy practice residency within the last 5 years prior to start date.
- Degree in Pharmacy from an ACPE accredited (or ACPE candidate status) School of Pharmacy
License, Certification, Registration
- Pharmacist License (California) required at hire
- Controlled Substance Utilization Review and Evaluation System Registration required at hire
- National Provider Identifier required at hire
- Basic Life Support within 3 months of hire
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support within 3 months of hire
- Demonstrates knowledge of patient variables such as age, sex, and other physical characteristics/presentation and disease states as they relate to medication therapy.
- Comprehensive knowledge of acute care medications.
- Possess comprehensive knowledge of current pharmacological/biopharmaceutical principles, medical terminology, pathologies and disease states, and the ability to relate this information to the patients medical management plan.
- Demonstrated work experience performing aseptic technique and the ability to prepare sterile IV products and chemotherapeutic agents.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of Federal and State laws and regulations regarding the provision of pharmaceutical services.
- Demonstrated ability to extract pertinent information from the patient, or other sources, and relate it to the patients medical management plan.
- Experience operating pharmacy computer system(s) and other equipment.
- Comprehensive knowledge of emergency medications.
- Doctorate of Pharmacy, Pharm.D.
- Midnight shift with on duty meals.
Job Category: Pharmacy