About this job
The Procurement Forester must be willing and able to build the relationships with landowners, loggers, and timber dealers necessary to procure a consistent supply of high-quality logs for the mill. The successful candidate will be self-motivated, a quick learner, and be eager to take on higher-level responsibilities or a position of leadership.
What you will do:
• Purchase pine stumpage from private landowners
• Timber cruising on private and US Forest Service land
• Oversee timber harvesting operations
• Purchase delivered wood from delivered supplier force
• Grow the supplier force to meet the future consumption needs of the mill
• Field visits to correct/educate loggers on mill’s needs and specifications for logs
• Scale house trained….just in case needed for backup
• Coordinate with Procurement Manager to ensure wood flow and log size is being met
• Communicate with sister mills to help meet enterprise needs
• Work with mill management with continual improvement projects
Requirements you will need:
- Safety focused experience
- Good leadership, coordination, and communication skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Must be able to work with a team, including mill-related teams
- Self-motivated and efficient in the planning and execution of responsibilities
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Must be competent or have the ability to learn to conduct timber cruising, market log pricing, timber appraisals, SFI auditing and be able to ensure compliance with all appropriate best management practices
- Have well-honed procurement skills with the ability to develop strong relationships with suppliers and to identify/develop new sourcing opportunities
What will make you stand out:
- A 4-year degree in Forestry, Logistics, or Supply Chain Logistics
- A minimum of 3 years of procurement experience
- Knowledge of local area and contractors
- Basic knowledge of lumber mill operations
- Must successfully complete a pre-employment drug screen and background check
Our highly competitive compensation package and outstanding benefits include:
- Benefits starting Day 1
- Competitive starting pay
- On-the-job training
- A culture that strongly believes in promoting from within
- 401k with company match
- Life Insurance
- Disability Insurance
- Paid vacations and holidays
*Active employees hired before September 30, 2022, will receive payment in January 2023.
If you are ready to build your career in a company that thrives on growth, a safe work environment, rewarding work, challenge, and opportunity, come build your career with us at West Fraser:
West Fraser is a diversified North American wood products company producing southern yellow pine lumber and wood chips across the Southern US and Western Canada. We are the largest lumber producer in North America!
Our employees operate in a culture that values safety first and rewards hard work. We recognize and support our team culture and focus on growing our team by promoting from within – many of our employees have built their careers with us. West Fraser is a growing company that believes strongly in promoting from within and prides itself on providing a challenging environment with continuous development. The successful candidate should be interested in future growth opportunities within the company.
We thank all candidates for their interest. Please apply through our online application process as resumes will not be accepted at the site. No phone inquiries, please.
West Fraser believes inclusive, diverse teams build a more vibrant workforce, safer operations, and a stronger company overall. We strive to create workplaces and leadership teams that are reflective of the diverse communities we are a part of. We will not discriminate against any applicant for employment on the basis of race, gender, national origin, or any other protected legal characteristic.
West Fraser is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/D & Drug-Free Workplace
- Bachelor or better in Forestry or related field