About this job
As an NRG employee, we encourage you to think creatively and proactively about your career choices. Our work environment is dynamic and the career opportunities across our businesses offer variety and challenge. Providing career growth to our own employees is critical to our ongoing success--take charge of your career goals and empower your future!
Reporting directly to the Plant Manager, the Environmental Specialist will contribute to the development and effective implementation of strategy, programs, systems, and processes ensuring the, 325 acre generating site containing a 2600 acre cooling pond and 7 mile discharge canal with 5 generating units producing 2,050MWs in Baytown, TX maintains compliance with all applicable environmental laws and regulations as well as corporate environmental policies, goals, targets, and compliance programs. This position will update environmental databases, prepare regulatory filings, coordinate associated activities as station representative and review compliance. This role will participate in developing, implementing, and monitoring environmental projects critical to Station success, and other special projects as needed.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Maintain expert level knowledge of, Solid Waste, and Wastewater regulations.
- Manage TPDES Permit renewal, SPCC and Storm Water program implementation and provide waste characterization support.
- Oversee water supply contracts/permit and manage relationships with key water supply stakeholders.
- Provide support for environmental compliance activities including air quality data analysis and reporting, Title V permitting and compliance certifications, New Source Review (NSR) permit applications and renewals, facility compliance audits.
- Coordinate and/or participate in the collection, review, and submittal of data to support environmental reporting programs. Expertise with Continuous Emissions Monitoring Systems (CEMS) related data and regulatory programs, and familiarity with StackVision and QASA software programs desirable.
- Coordinate and/or interact with regional/corporate plant environmental and plant operations personnel during compliance reviews, support agency air, solid waste, and wastewater inspections and internal third-party compliance audits; develop and implement compliance related tools and best practices at the Cedar Bayou Generating Station.
- Provide response to environmental system upsets and monitoring system breakdowns, including field data collection, situation assessment and system analysis to prevent recurrence of these conditions.
- Coordinate all aspects of testing programs: Regulatory agency notifications, direct test contractors, communicate requirements to on-site personnel, evaluate test results, data and procedures for compliance with applicable environmental requirements.
- Provide and document environmental support of facility operations, including technical assistance, training, Management of Change, system operation analysis and recordkeeping.
- Assist in interpretation and assessment of impacts of proposed environmental regulations on facility operations.
Special Skills / Knowledge / Qualifications:
- Understanding of power plant systems and multi- media environmental regulations.
- Self-starter who is capable of critical and analytical thinking and problem solving.
- Strong interpersonal and organization skills. Able to communicate technical information effectively in both written and oral format.
- Ability to obtain Drinking Water License, TCEQ Water Class D Operator License.
- Strong database management and spreadsheet skills.
- Root Cause Analysis experience desirable.
- Possess or ability to obtain Visible Emissions Observer certification.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in a related science or engineering discipline from an accredited university or a high school diploma and 8 years of relevant environmental experience.
- Must possess a valid driver's license
- Power plant or industrial environmental experience preferred
- Natural Gas power plant environment
- Requires standing, sitting, walking, kneeling, twisting, climbing stairs and ladders, and entering plant equipment to access, inspect, or collect data in all types of weather conditions.
- Occasionally requires lifting as appropriate to perform duties and responsibilities.
- Travel Time: <5% travel time to other sites or facilities.
Please Note: Salary offered will be commensurate with the successful candidate's education and/or experience and consistent with the job location's market pay rate.
NRG Energy is committed to a drug and alcohol free workplace. To the extent permitted by law and any applicable collective bargaining agreement, employees are subject to periodic random drug testing, and post-accident and reasonable suspicion drug and alcohol testing. EOE AA M/F/Protected Veteran Status/Disability
EEO is the Law Poster(The poster can be found at )
Level, Title and/or Salary may be adjusted based on the applicant's experience or skills.
Official description on file with Talent.