Sr Environmental & Safety Specialist
About this job
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The EHS Specialist leads the safety and environmental functions at their assigned site(s). The role works on implementation of critical processes, programs, and procedures to achieve goals, objectives, and continuous improvement related to environment, health and safety. The EHS Specialist must spend significant time on the plant floor, engaging and coaching employees, front-line leaders, maintenance, and contractors every day. As an integral part of the plant leadership team, the EHS Specialist will provide information and guidance for activities relating to the site-wide safety and operating objectives.
Reports to: The Plant Leader, with functional (dotted line) reporting to the Regional Safety Leader
Span of Control: Accountable for all EHS processes and initiatives at assigned site(s); no direct reports
Environmental Health and Safety Leadership
- Ensure that all permit terms and conditions are met with a compliance calendar or other formal tool. This will include oversight of or actually performing such activities as routine sampling, reporting, recordkeeping, and auditing.
- Report all environmental nonconformities in a timely manner through the appropriate channels
- Develop skills and grow capabilities in the assigned facility, including:
- Coach, mentor, and guide plant leadership from a safety perspective
- Conduct training programs in a coordinated effort with appropriate plant personnel
- Continually reinforce the company’s stand on safety and always recognize employee accomplishments and contributions
- Identify at-risk conditions from incident investigations, trend data, collaboration with employees, and new equipment design review, and apply appropriate hazard analysis methodologies to these conditions
- Aggressively and proactively drive overall risk reduction metrics through data collection and analysis of risk
- Establish and accomplish aggressive personal, and facility goals that align with division and Owens Corning corporate goals. These goals must reflect our commitment to enhancing our safety culture and achieving a world-class safety management process.
- Participate as a member of the site’s leadership team and drive company-wide and BU EHS initiatives at the site.
- Implement OC safety programs/standards and site-specific safety programs designed to reduce employee injuries and illnesses and improve site productivity.
- Ensure that occupational illnesses and injuries are immediately reported, thoroughly investigated (root cause analysis) and promptly addressed, consistent with corporate and BU standards and requirements.
- Participate in or lead other plant specific activities as required or assigned by the Plant Leader
- Bachelor degree in EHS Management, Industrial Hygiene, or other discipline directly relevant to EHS
- 2 years safety leadership experience
- Ability to travel 5-10%
- Hands-on safety leadership experience in an industrial setting
- Ability/willingness to relocate for career progression within Owens Corning
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Working knowledge of health and safety regulations and industrial hygiene protocols
- Ability to identify gaps and develop appropriately prioritized action plans
- Ability to effectively engage primary employees
- Ability to promote a team environment and must be able to initiate, lead and drive cross-functional team projects to successful completion
- Adept at delivering safety training
- Highly ethical: Can be trusted to do only the “right thing” for the employees, shareholders and others. Follows a balanced approach without compromising integrity.
- Results-oriented: Energetic, resourceful, with a strong service orientation and positive can-do attitude. Fully committed to the job and to deliver outstanding work. Never satisfied with the status quo, continually striving for excellence.
- Enjoys working hands-on
- Change agent: Able to anticipate risks and propose practical plans to mitigate them. Appreciates safety organization’s impact and is able to convey how safety is an integral part of the Plant’s business strategy.
- Team Orientated: Has no hesitation to help the plant team by doing work outside of normal job responsibilities in order to meet customer and plant expectations
About Owens Corning
Owens Corning is a global building and construction materials leader committed to building a sustainable future through material innovation. Our three integrated businesses – Composites, Insulation, and Roofing – provide durable, sustainable, energy-efficient solutions that leverage our unique material science, manufacturing, and market knowledge to help our customers win and grow. We are global in scope, human in scale with approximately 19,000 employees in 31 countries dedicated to generating value for our customers and shareholders, and making a difference in the communities where we work and live. Founded in 1938 and based in Toledo, Ohio, USA, Owens Corning posted 2022 sales of $9.8 billion. For more information, visit .
Owens Corning is an equal opportunity employer.