Merchandise Planner - Full-time / Part-time
|Location|| Beallsville, MD, United States |
About this job
The Merchandise Planner role is responsible for all aspects of pre-season and in season inventory investments and optimization. The Merchandise Planner is an exciting role that enables the right candidate to directly drive business results through portfolio management and data analytics. This role is a strategic partnership with the Merchant. The role will have accountability to deliver sales, gross margin and inventory turn plan via direct ownership of the Open to Buy, style level pre-season plans and in-season price optimization. The right candidate will also help to shape the future of the Merchandise Planning and Analytics process, tools, and reporting.
- Own the development of division, department & class level plans that support the Music & Arts strategy
- Develops pre-season top-down/bottom-up level plans for sales, inventory, markdowns, and margin in partnership with the Sr Planning Manager and Merchants
- Develops assortment plans that tie back to the monthly receipt targets
- Develop style-level sales and inventory plans
- Own OTB, sales and inventory forecasting, including assessing total risks and creating resolutions to achieve/exceed financial targets in collaboration with Director of Planning. Drive strategies to positively impact assortment and financials
- Own business recaps (W/M/Q) to inform short-term and long-term financial strategies/action plans
- Collaborate with the merchant team to develop and communicate a comprehensive pre-season strategy that aligns financial and product opportunities across multiple departments
- Provide regular analysis of business trends, both pre-season and post-season, along with the appropriate actions that support effective inventory management and maximizes sales and margin and mitigate risk to all business partners
- Own recommending and executing aged inventory and in-season pricing strategies
- Drives business discussions and adjusts strategies to optimize inventory investments and maximize results
- Create and cultivate a collaborative, innovative and results-orientated environment
- Maintain in-stock levels, and optimize inventory
- Partner with the field teams and provide long-range forecasts and seasonal item forecasts in line with the rental season calendar to ensure product is ordered to support rental goals
- Collaborates on continual development and improvement of planning tools and processes
About Music & Arts
Music & Arts embodies the world of creativity and music by encouraging our teammates to find their own individual sound. We strive to create lifelong musicians and make a difference in the world by enabling musicians and non-musicians alike to experience the almost indescribable happiness that comes from playing an instrument. We believe in putting our customers first, engaging with respect and integrity and fulfilling our mission with passion.
The first Music & Arts was located in a small house in Bethesda, MD and run by founder Benjamin O'Brien. When Music & Arts opened its doors in 1952, we offered printed music, music lessons, dance lessons, and art supplies. Ben decided shortly after opening his business that he wanted to focus on music to better serve his customers -- a decision that remains intact to this day.
Since the 1990's, Music & Arts has expanded nationwide through organic growth and a series of acquisitions and mergers with other music dealers. In 2005, Music & Arts joined forces with American Music to become the largest band and orchestra instrument retailer in the United States. Based in Frederick, MD, Music & Arts is now part of the Guitar Center enterprise and comprises 225+ retail stores, 200+ educational representatives, and 250+ affiliate locations.
To join our band, you'll need the following experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Business, Supply Chain, Merchandising or equivalent experience in a related discipline
- 4+ years prior merchandise or financial planning experience; omni-channel preferred
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills; proficient with MS Excel and merchandise planning system
- Proven track record in driving results via merchandise forecasting, planning and data analytics
- Detail-oriented with strong organizational and time management skills
- Demonstrated record of prioritizing, influencing and decision making at multiple levels in the organization
- Ability to use sales financial data to make decisions and maximize profitability
- Strong communication skills including the ability to work in a team environment, build strong partnerships, give honest, direct feedback and is a solid verbal and written communicator
- Meets deadlines, prioritizes appropriately, copes well with change, and maintains composure under pressure
- Is accountable for results, approaches obstacles proactively and looks for ways to resolve problems and issues
- Ability to handle multiple tasks/projects with tight deadlines
Why join us?
With a career at Guitar Center, you become part of the world's largest multichannel musical instrument retailer. Whether at our Stores, Contact Centers, Distribution Centers, or Support Center, Guitar Center employees have a common goal: to help people find their sound and fill the world with more music.
Love this gig and want to apply?
Guitar Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer and provides fair and equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or any other protected status prohibited under Federal, State, or local laws. All employment decisions are based on valid job‐related requirements.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran and are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our website, you may request a reasonable accommodation to express interest in a specific opening. You can request reasonable accommodation by sending an email to .