est. per hourSoHo Dragon • 17h ago Use left and right arrow keys to navigate
est. per hourJobsRUs • 9h ago Use left and right arrow keys to navigate
est. per hourAvior Executive Search • 16h ago Use left and right arrow keys to navigate
- Lasante Health • 17h ago
Use left and right arrow keys to navigate
est. per hourThe Cornerstone Group of NY LLC • 17h ago Use left and right arrow keys to navigate
est. per hourAcctuate • 17h ago Use left and right arrow keys to navigate
- $45,000 to $55,000
Verified per yearSingle Stop USA • 16h ago Use left and right arrow keys to navigate
- $40 to $50
Verified per hourT&M USA, LLC • 17h ago Use left and right arrow keys to navigate
- $150,000 - $160,000
Verified per yearGlobal Citizen • 16h ago Use left and right arrow keys to navigate
AVP/VP Commercial Surety Underwriting Officer
| Verified Pay
|$137,800 - $225,500 per year
|New York, New York
About this job
Zurich North America is looking for a Commercial Surety Underwriting Officer (AVP or VP Level) to join our Commercial Surety team within the Northeast Region. Although our preference is for the individual to be based out of our New York City office, we would also consider other significant metropolitan locations within the Northeast Region (Parsippany, NJ, Boston, MA, Rocky Hill, CT, Long Island and Westchester County, NY).
The Commercial Surety Underwriter is a uniquely technical role in the underwriting world. In this position you will be responsible for the overall account management, business development and analysis of a highly complex book of Commercial Surety Accounts. Our ideal candidate will have a can-do positive attitude, strong financial background including credit analysis, excellent communication and presentation skills, time management skills, and the ability to further develop and sharpen established negotiation skills. Underwriters will use the Zurich Way of Underwriting Framework within delegated authority levels on highly complex assignments ensuring a high-level service to customers.
This is a great opportunity for an experienced Commercial Surety Underwriter to use their analytical skills, their entrepreneurial spirit, along with their ability to develop and maintain relationships with our Northeast Region Brokers and Customers to write profitable business.
This role will be filled at either the AVP or VP. The hiring manager will determine the appropriate level based upon the selected applicant’s experience and skillset relative to the qualifications listed for this position.
Additional responsibilities will include:
- Proactively seek renewal and new account opportunities.
- Qualify accounts to meet with the organization's appetite, balanced with sound business opportunity. Negotiate Terms & Conditions and close deals.
- Cross-Sell other lines of business to increase product density with the account.
- Update required systems with details of broker/client visits and account status within specified time frame.
- Calculate Target Price accurately by utilizing underwriting tools appropriately.
- Diagnose and develop recommendations to solve unique business unit and customer problems.
- Demonstrate specialized knowledge and expertise in products and industry.
- Administer and monitor underwriting rules and guidelines, insurance laws and regulations, and rating manuals.
- Work at the highest authority limits on assignments utilizing the highest degree of technical complexity and coordination.
AVP Basic Qualifications:
- High School Diploma or Equivalent and 5 or more years of experience in the Underwriting, Market Facing, Finance, Accounting, or Banking area
- High School Diploma or Equivalent and 10 or more years of experience in the Claims or Underwriting Support area
- Zurich Certified Insurance Apprentice including an Associate Degree and 3 or more years in the Underwriting, Market Facing, Finance, Accounting, or Banking area
- Zurich Certified Insurance Apprentice including an Associate Degree and 8 or more years of experience in the Claims or Underwriting Support area
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Knowledge of time restraints for quotes on new and renewal business
- Experience working in a team environment
VP Basic Qualifications:
- High School Diploma or Equivalent and 7 or more years of experience in the Underwriting or Market Facing, Finance, Accounting, or Banking area
- High School Diploma or Equivalent and 14 or more years of experience in the Claims or Underwriting Support area
- Zurich Certified Insurance Apprentice including an Associate Degree and 5 or more years of experience in the Underwriting or Market Facing area
- Zurich Certified Insurance Apprentice including an Associate Degree and 12 or more years of experience in the Claims or Underwriting Support area
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Surety knowledge/experience and knowledge of the legal and regulatory guidelines
- Understanding of structure of broker relationships
- Ability to analyze and understand complicated credit assessments, trends, and strategies
- Investigative skills (curiosity) to develop an understanding of business strategies, trends, complex contracts, assessment of long-term obligations and organizational character among other aspects of our customers
- Ability to coherently articulate these strategies and financial concepts formulating fact-based conclusions and recommendations
- Prior experience managing/growing profitable portfolio of customers
- Negotiation experience with brokers and large, international, and national organizations
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
Compensation for roles at Zurich varies depending on a wide array of factors including but not limited to the specific office location, role, skill set, and level of experience. The salary provided is a nationwide market range and has not been adjusted for the applicable geographic differential associated with the location where the position may be filled. As required by local law, Zurich provides in good faith a reasonable range of compensation for roles. Compensation may exceed the salary listed based on the evaluation of skillset and experience. For additional information about our Total Rewards, click. Other rewards may include short term incentive bonuses and merit increases. The combined salary range for this position is $109,100.00 - $225,500.00. The starting salary range for the AVP Commercial Surety Underwriting Officer position is: $109,100.00 - $178,600.00 and for the VP Commercial Surety Underwriting Officer position is: $137,800.00 - $225,500.00.
As a condition of employment at Zurich, employees must adhere to any COVID-related health and safety protocols in place at that time ().
A future with Zurich. What can go right when you apply at Zurich?
Now is the time to move forward and make a difference. At Zurich, we want you to share your unique perspectives, experiences and ideas so we can grow and drive sustainable change together. As part of a leading global organization, Zurich North America has over 150 years of experience managing risk and supporting resilience. Today, Zurich North America is a leading provider of commercial property-casualty insurance solutions and a wide range of risk management products and services for businesses and individuals. We serve more than 25 industries, from agriculture to technology, and we insure 90% of the Fortune 500®. Our growth strategy is not limited to our business. As an employer, we strive to provide ongoing career development opportunities, and we foster an environment where voices are diverse, behaviors are inclusive, actions drive equity, and our people feel a sense of belonging. Be a part of the next evolution of the insurance industry. Join us in building a brighter future for our colleagues, our customers and the communities we serve. Zurich maintains a comprehensive employee benefits package for employees as well as eligible dependents and competitive compensation. Please click to learn more.
As a global company, Zurich recognizes the diversity of our workforce as an asset. We recruit talented people from a variety of backgrounds with unique perspectives that are truly welcome here. Taken together, diversity and inclusion bring us closer to our common goal: exceeding our customers’ expectations. Zurich does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, national origin, disability, protected veteran status or any other legally protected status. EOE disability/vet
Zurich does not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies. Any unsolicited resume will become the property of Zurich American Insurance. If you are a preferred vendor, please use our Recruiting Agency Portal for resume submission.
Location(s): AM - New York, AM - Parsippany, AM - Rocky Hill, AM - Boston, AM - New York Virtual Office, AM - New Jersey Virtual Office, AM - Connecticut Virtual Office, AM - Jersey City, AM - Hartford, AM - Hoboken, AM - Long Island, AM - Morristown, AM - Westchester
Remote Working: Hybrid
Schedule: Full Time
Employment Sponsorship Offered: No
Linkedin Recruiter Tag: #LI-WL1 #LI-ASSOCIATE #LI-HYBRID