Sr. Cost Accountant
| Estimated Pay
|$35 per hour
Compare PayEstimated Pay
About this job
This position is a Business Partner to the Plant Manager(s) and provides financial analysis of plant operations so appropriate financial decisions can be made, especially on cost controls and reductions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepares, communicates, Measures, and understands key business unit operating metrics and compares to established goals
- Perform weekly cycle count audits
- Execute Standard Cost Variance Analysis and reporting
- Perform month end Inventory Process and reconciliations for locations assigned
- Help drive and manage Mid-year and Annual Physical Inventory Process for locations assigned along with report outs of metrics
- In cooperation with Plant Manager(s), manage overhead, and direct labor spend for locations assigned
- Perform Scrap Analysis
- Support the workflow and be a team member for Capital projects teams, acting as a liaison to the plants for project justificaitons
- Participate in Lean Kaizen Events as the key accounting personnel
- Works with plant personnel to coordinate and support monthly forecasting of plant spend
- Provide backup for costing of new items and attends the ECR meeting
- Supporting, tracking, monitoring, and controlling of all financial related initiatives at the plant
- Perform monthly close of select plant balance sheet accounts including inventory, inventory reserves, plant accruals, etc. as well as ensuring P&L accuracy and matching principals
- Analyze monthly results with Plant Manager(s) and participate in monthly management reviews of locations
- Provide controllable spend analysis weekly to plant managers
- Execute special projects as directed by Accounting and Plant Management
- Provide finance leadership presence and support at the locations assigned
- Perform posting of transactions to the GL for timely cut off
- Assist in annual Cost Roll
- Perform review and analysis of OH and Labor rates in order to set yearly rates
- Perform analysis on Margins by job and report to top management
- Support annual audit and work with external auditors
- Support plant personnel with PO Requisitions for correctness, costing, dept and account #
- Member of the Cost down team and assists plant team to identify and track cost savings projects
- Provide Labor and OH analysis monthly to the Plant manager
Above is a list of the most important responsibilities and functions, which are essential to the position. Employees must be able to perform these essential functions satisfactorily with or without a reasonable accommodation. Accommodations will be evaluated and provided to eligible employees on a case by case basis, depending on the employee's medical restrictions, work availability, the nature of the position, the position's essential functions and other relevant factors.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in Accounting; Master’s degree a plus
- Licenses/Certifications: CPA preferred; CMA preferred
- Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Should have 6+ years of experience including cost accounting experience
- Strong Microsoft Office suite skills required.
- Advanced Excel skills required.
- Experience in a manufacturing accounting environment preferred
- Experience in multi-plant, multi-location environment desirable
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- High level problem solving, and analytical skills required
- Exceptional personal initiative and desire to drive consistent improvement
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work within a team environment and highly functional not just as a leader but also as a team member
- Ability to quickly learn and utilize various software applications and financial tools
- Must have strong work ethics during high volume periods, including month and year-end close, and the budgeting season. Experience with Syteline preferred
- Core Competencies:
- To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies to perform the essential functions of this position:
- Analytical—the individual synthesizes complex or diverse information including BOM cost review and evaluation
- Problem solving—the individual identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner and gathers and analyzes information skillfully.
- Technical skills-the individual must possess strong US GAAP accounting knowledge related to normal business/manufacturing operations.
- Oral communication—the individual speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations, demonstrates group presentation skills, and conducts meetings.
- Management skills— makes self-available to plant staff for financial management consultation; skills include financial evaluation of plant staffing levels and efficiencies in conjunction with plant management, decision-making, facilitating process improvement including streamlining and automation.
- Quality management—the individual looks for ways to improve and promote quality and demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
- Judgment—the individual displays willingness to make decisions, exhibits sound and accurate judgment and makes timely decisions.
- Planning/organizing—the individual prioritizes and plans work activities, uses time efficiently and develops realistic action plans.