est. per hourDenham Resources • 4h ago Urgently hiringUse left and right arrow keys to navigate
est. per hourLyle Health • 18h ago Use left and right arrow keys to navigate
- Education Leadership Foundation • 18h ago
Use left and right arrow keys to navigate
- U.S. Navy • 28d ago
Urgently hiringUse left and right arrow keys to navigate
Intern, Community Health - Full-time / Part-time
| Verified Pay
|$23 per hour
About this job
Now is the time to join us and make a difference. Be a relentless force for a world of longer, healthier lives. Here at the American Heart Association, you matter and so does your career.
The American Heart Association’s Internship Program provides college students the opportunity to work in the field of public health at a premier non-profit organization with an impeccable reputation for promoting a healthy lifestyle free from cardiovascular disease and stroke. Under close supervision and mentorship of experienced public health professionals, students will apply classroom learning to practical problems. Throughout this process students will develop and strengthen skills such as: research methods, health communication, and community engagement.
Students will enhance their existing skill set by learning strategies to improve health outcomes in diverse communities by conducting health education workshops, developing, and implementing outreach strategies to specific racial ethnic minority communities, and create culturally competent resources that can be utilized by these communities to prevent or manage cardiovascular disease, hypertension and stroke.
- Time Commitment: 20 hours per week
- Internship Duration: Spring (January 16 – May 3)
- Hybrid: work from home and in-person
- Based in Central Valley/Kern County, CA
The Association offers many resources to help you maintain work-life harmonization through your changing needs and life situations. To help you be successful, you will have access to Heart U, our award-winning corporate university, as well as additional training and support, locally.
\#TheAHALife is our company culture, our way of life, reflecting our diversity, equity & inclusion, our focus on work-life harmonization and our Guiding Values. Discover why you will Be Seen. Be Heard. Be Valued™ at the American Heart Association by following us on LinkedIn, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and at heart.org.
- Understand the principles and practices of public health planning, research administration, and evaluation.
- Deeper understanding of public health by increasing their awareness of cultural needs, and challenges of connecting resources to diverse populations.
- Understand the benefits of strategic partnerships between health care professionals, businesses, and community-based organizations to improve population health.
- Assist region with community account management and partner engagement.
- Interest in public health, community service and engagement, public policy, media advocacy, nonprofit communications, and marketing.
- Experience working within communities.
- Ability to learn quickly and have focused attention to detail.
- Excellent oral, written and presentation communication skills.
- Ability to use Microsoft Office programs.
- Experience in the virtual platform.
- Basic knowledge of Canva.
- 20hrs/week availability, M-F between the hours of 8:30am-5:00pm.
- Required Equipment: Reliable WiFi Connection
Compensation & Benefits
- Compensation – This position will pay $23/hour. Our goal is to ensure you have a competitive base salary. That’s why we regularly review the market value of jobs and make adjustments, as needed.
- Professional Development – You can join one of our many Employee Resource Groups (ERG) or be a mentor/mentee in our professional mentoring program. HeartU is the Association’s national online university, with more than 100,000 resources designed to meet your needs and busy schedule.
The American Heart Association’s 2024 Goal: Every person deserves the opportunity for a full, healthy life. As champions for health equity, by 2024, the American Heart Association will advance cardiovascular health for all, including identifying and removing barriers to health care access and quality.
At American Heart Association | American Stroke Association, our mission is to be a relentless force for a world of longer, healthier lives, regardless of race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, religion, age, language, sexual orientation, national origin and physical or cognitive abilities. We're committed to ensuring our workforce, workplace culture and mission have a shared impact across a diverse set of backgrounds.
This position not a match with your skills? Click here to see other opportunities.
EOE/Protected Veterans/Persons with Disabilities