It’s going to take some work, but if you’re ready to put in the effort there are steps you can take to score call-backs from employers.
Don't apply unless:
1. Your application is error free. Spelling and grammar mistakes keep you from getting hired.
2. You are qualified for the position. If you’re a qualified oil rig operator, and you apply for an insurance desk job, it’s a good bet you won’t get an interview.
3. Your availability matches what the employer wants.
4. Follow up with the employer 3-5 days after you apply.*
*Unless the job posting says not to. Then don't. (Really.)
5. Customize each application. Use the company's name and refer to the job title (just make sure you don’t send the wrong application to the wrong company).
6.Volunteering adds to your experience and can fill gaps in your work history.
There’s no magic formula that will guarantee you an interview, but these steps are ones we’ve used and ones Snagajob members who’ve been hired have used. Give them a shot, and let us know how they work for you!