1. Back of the house: The kitchen.
"Do you have any back of the house experience?"
2. Front of the house: The portion of the restaurant composed of the dining room and bar area.
"The front of the house is crazy tonight. I can't get a break."
3. Four-top: A table of four. Also two-top, three-top, sixteen-top, etc.
"I just sat you with a four-top."
4. Dine n' dash: Customers who eat and leave the restaurant without paying.
"That four-top just did a dine n' dash."
5. 86: When an item is removed from the menu because the restaurant has used up the daily supply.
"86 the daily special."
6. Expo/Expediter: Person in charge of last minute preparations in the kitchen before items are delivered to customers. Expos often prepare deserts and garnish plates.
"My two-top is still waiting on their deserts; who's on expo tonight?"
7. Triple-seat: When a host or hostess seats a single server with three consecutive parties.
"I just got triple-sat, it's going to be a long night."
8. In the weeds: Hopelessly behind (you’ll probably use this one a lot at first).
“I just got a 16 top and my expo is out, I’m stuck in the weeds.”