Design Group operates from more than 45 offices in the United States and India, providing engineering, consulting and technical services for the world's leading companies in the food and beverage, life sciences, advanced technology, industrial and other market sectors. Our nearly 1,500 technical and engineering experts have direct industry experience in industrial automation, control system integration, facility and process engineering, architecture, construction management, regulatory compliance, enterprise technology and other consulting services.
Barry-Wehmiller is a diversified global supplier of engineering consulting and manufacturing technology for the packaging, corrugating, sheeting and paper-converting industries. By blending people-centric leadership with disciplined operational strategies and purpose-driven growth, Barry-Wehmiller has become a $3 billion organization with nearly 12,000 team members united by a common belief: to use the power of business to build a better world.
The Engineering Manager is responsible for leading and mentoring the Sacramento, CA-based Technical Delivery Team (Engineering and Design). This team includes Process, Structural, Mechanical, and Electrical engineering disciplines.
The primary goal of the Technical Delivery Team is to produce designs and construction documents that meet our clients' specific needs, with a high level of quality, and in the most efficient manner. The Engineering Manager will ensure the highest standards are maintained, and that legal licensing requirements are met by providing oversight and coordination of the Engineering Work Product that licensed professional engineers will be in responsible charge of for their respective discipline.
- Actively participate in both the milestone and the final review of all design deliverables to ensure the production of the highest quality work product.
- Mark up drawing sets and specifications, and review with the Discipline Leads and Project Managers.
- Identify root causes for any errors or omissions in the drawings and specifications, and take corrective action to address with the Technical Delivery Team.
- Seek input from the Discipline Leaders and Project Managers (Design and Construction) for Lessons Learned on every project. Develop plans to implement the continuous improvements represented by these lessons learned to ensure better performance on future projects.
WORKLOAD & PRODUCTIVITY
- Provide daily administration of the staff in setting workload priorities for all projects.
- Manage workload planning and project assignments, in conjunction with the Discipline Leads and Project Managers.
- Forecast when additional resources are needed, then facilitate acquiring this additional capacity by temporarily supplementing the Technical Delivery Team with professionals from other Design Group offices, or permanently through recruiting new professionals.
- Coordinate with other Design Group office Engineering Managers to support workload resourcing, production quality, and development of professionals.
- Monitor the Technical Delivery Team weekly labor utilization to maintain optimum productivity level.
- Assist in the preparation of proposals for new work. This includes defining the scope of required activities, as well as estimating level of effort (person-hours) to accomplish this scope.
- Mentor staff to improve their body of knowledge and capabilities in alignment with the office and overall practice goals.
- Encourage the individual growth and improvement of the capabilities of each member of the Technical Delivery Team.
- Identify and offer opportunities for growth and advancement of team members.
- Actively promote design coordination across all disciplines.
- Monitor productivity throughout the design development process
- Ensure that the Technical Delivery Team has a full understanding of the scope and client expectations communicated at project kickoffs and meetings.
- Ensure timely and thorough design coordination occurs with all members of the Technical Delivery Team, with not less than 30/60/90 design progress milestone reviews.
- Recognize when extra or out-of-scope engineering work is being requested or performed. Assist the Project Managers and Discipline Leads with change management.
- Minimum 7 years of experience managing multi-discipline design teams in the Consumer Products or Food & Beverage Industries (Additional experience in Life Science or Industrial market a plus).
- Minimum 15 years of experience in the design and production of construction document packages within the Consumer Products or Food & Beverage Industries. (Additional experience in Life Science or Industrial market a plus).
- Experience as Engineer of Record.
- Excellent communication skills, interpersonal skills and ability to interact effectively with our valued team members and clients.
- Excellent computer skills including MS Office, MS Project, and Bluebeam
- BS degree in Engineering from an ABET accredited engineering school is required.
- MS in a related field is desired.
- Professional Engineer Licensure in the State of California is required.
At Barry-Wehmiller we recognize that people come with a wealth of experience and talent beyond just the technical requirements of a job. If your experience is close to what you see listed here, please still consider applying. We know that our differences often can bring about innovation, excellence and meaningful work-therefore, people from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply to our positions. Please let us know if you require reasonable accommodations during the interview process.
Barry-Wehmiller is an equal opportunity employer. M/F/D/V This organization uses E-Verify.
Applicants may be subject to pre-employment screening which may include drug screening, reference checks, employment verifications, background screening and/or skills assessments.
Design Group FS Inc