Facebook is looking for an Optical Deployment Engineer who will be responsible for supporting deployments of one of the world's largest and most complex networks. As a member of this team, you will have a unique opportunity to be involved in projects related to planning, implementation & scaling of the Facebook optical, backbone and edge network. The ideal candidate is an engineer who is comfortable working in a fast-paced environment and constantly evolving network. A quick learner, proactive, and highly motivated engineer that is not afraid to challenge the status quo, with a creative mind to find solutions and workarounds for day-to-day problems. As an Optical Deployment Engineer, she/he is not afraid to propose new ideas, gather constructive feedback from others, and push forward to make these ideas a reality.
- Deliver and deploy long haul terrestrial, regional metro, and subsea network dark fiber, connecting Facebook data centers together across North and South America.
- Manage fiber delivery from planning through sourcing and testing.
- Maintain tools and databases to accurately reflect the current state of Facebook's fiber footprint, including port assignments and patch panels.
- Determine and implement new standards for diversity and improved reliability. Track fiber provider performance and work on improvement plans when necessary.
- Lead a team of internal contractors and managed resources to carry out testing, acceptance, and handover.
- Act as a point of escalation for on-site testers and installers when issues arise.
- Work with the Network Engineering team to pipeline fiber data into network design tools.
- Determine and validate acceptance criteria for newly acquired fibers.
- Proactively contribute to documentation, automation and processes as they evolve.
- Plan, schedule and perform complex fiber migrations, coordinating with fiber providers, colo facilities, and internal operations teams.
- 10% of travel required.
- Demonstrated experience deploying optical networks.
- Experience with optical network design, installation, and maintenance.
- Knowledge of optical theory, transport technologies and the operation of optical transport systems.
- Experience with field-based work in POPs, carrier hotels, data centers and central office environments.
- Familiarity with modern DWDM network architectures and equipment.
- Hands-on experience with optical test equipment and troubleshooting experience using OTDR and optical power meters.
- Understanding of optical fiber characterization testing including Reflection, Loss, PMD, CD. Experience interpreting and understanding OTDR traces.
- Experience validating fiber handover packages from fiber providers.
- Experience interpreting, creating, and comprehending OSP/ISP network diagrams.
- Experience creating rack elevations and other install/as-built documentation.
- Proven communication skills both internally and externally.
- Project management and organization experience.
- Familiarity with different fiber and connector types. Understanding advantages and disadvantages of each.
- Experience working in a large scale global team environment.
- Experience working in fast-paced and dynamic environments with limited supervision.
- Knowledge of data center design and operational best practices.
- Technical knowledge of various regional Data Center electrical and cooling configurations, IEC, NEMA standards, AC/DC power, power redundancy scenarios.
- Experience with fiber construction: trenching, splicing, permitting.
- Experience with ordering and activating cross connects in colocation facilities.
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Facebook is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.
Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Posting ID: 598855587Posted: 2021-01-23