Director of Technology This is a full-time, remote position (due to COVID) working collaboratively with colleagues across the US and Europe.
About Us: Sulzer US, LLC is a dynamic and innovative start-up delivering cloud, big data, and immersive user experience custom software solutions to industry-leading clients. We offer talent a place to refine their skills, apply their personal passions, and work on meaningful projects for the world's leading brands. Our solutions range from software supporting electrical charging networks to complex product configurators. We also believe in giving back to the world community and are dedicated to pro-bono initiatives for organizations such as the Jane Goodall Institute.
Who You Are: We're looking for a Director of Technology to lead our development teams in our McLean, VA office. With a software engineering background, you will be the senior point of contact for clients on your engagements and architect various applications for clients and proprietary products. You will have the opportunity to lead change within the organization, make an impact by growing your team of passionate technologists and collaborating on best practices with your fellow Directors of Technology and the executive team. As a technology strategist, you will participate in new business efforts. With a hunger for all things tech, you will bring an open mind to learning new things as well as a fresh perspective.
What you bring to the team:
- Fundamental understanding of software architecture with no hesitation to lead decisions for it
- Intrinsic motivation for technology advancements and product creation
- Significant experience working with cloud computing platforms such as AWS
- Deep theoretical and practical knowledge in Java or equivalent programming language
- Advanced knowledge of common frontend development stacks (i.e., Typescript, React, Angular, Vaadin, SwiftUI)
- Solid foundation with persistence solutions (i.e., databases) and data processing
- Proven success in leading teams to deliver products or services in a fast-paced environment
- Prior management experience that results in enabling employees to grow while setting clear performance expectations
- A track record of success in playing a pivotal role in managing client relationships through well-thought-out recommendations, clear communication, and building trusting relationships
- Strong quantitative, communication, teamwork, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to use critical thinking and sound judgment
- Experience with eMobility is a plus.
- Ability to commute to McLean, VA regularly once COVID restrictions are lifted
- Open to travel occasionally to Montvale, NJ and Europe
Within Your First Month You'll:
- Learn about Sulzer US, our business model, and product and service offerings with our onboarding program.
- Get up to speed on all client work being done out of our McLean office.
- Meet with clients and internal team members to start building rapport.
Within 3 Months You'll
- Take over the management of your team.
- Learn your team's strengths and weaknesses and begin to provide feedback and development
- Continuously grow your team through strategic hires.
- Begin to build relationships with key client contacts to ensure that we understand client requirements and challenges and provide appropriate recommendations.
- Get up to speed on client deliverable timelines and make your assessment of team staffing and client needs.
- Contribute ideas, ask questions, and raise concerns when encountering challenges.
Within 6 Months You'll:
- Oversee and guide the implementation of project designs, standards, and processes by your teams.
- Consult with clients on solutions and be a trusted resource for them.
- Develop and document high-level technical designs, such as architectural diagrams.
- Contribute to organic business development, research, and requirements gathering.
- Assist in the development and maintenance of technical standards.
- Evaluate the performance of the McLean technology team and lead the review process.
- Bring expertise on various technologies and assist others in learning these technologies.
- Grow your discipline by consulting on new business development, research, and requirements gathering.
Within Your First Year You'll:
- Lead the management and growth of our McLean technology team. Provide leadership and mentorship to the team and develop customized development plans in coordination with the team leads that report to you.
Create trusting relationships with our clients and key stakeholders at Sulzer.
- Be a key contributor in planning for McLean office growth, defining infrastructure needs, identifying and documenting best practices, and growing and acquiring clients.
- Provide direction to your team when developing client solutions and engage with clients at the right time to ensure that projects successful.
- Contribute to Sulzer US' continuous improvement initiative by bringing fresh ideas and the
- energy to bring our team to the next level.
What are the benefits of joining our team? At Sulzer US, we take ultimate pride in our employees! By choosing a career at Sulzer US, you gain the perks of choosing from three comprehensive medical plans to fit your needs, as well as receiving accrual-based PTO days, paid sick leave, flexible work hours, and a parental leave program. Enjoy a laid-back workplace with casual dress attire, ticket and event discount savings, and company celebrations – both in and out of the office! We provide continuous learning and development opportunities, 401(k) plans, and an employee referral program because we're always looking for great people to join the team!
What to Expect from Our Selection Process: While an advanced degree is not required, we seek passionate technologists who possess both technical and soft skills to excel on our team. Our selection process is designed to assess the whole candidate and foster a mutual match for you and us. The process includes:
- Apply by submitting your resume; cover letters are optional.
- The Sulzer US Hiring Team reviews your application.
- Introductory Video Interview with a member of the Sulzer US Hiring Team to discuss what you are looking for in a role, as well as answer any high-level questions about us.
- If your skills meet the position requirements, you will receive a link to complete a Codility Test. Here we will assess your technical and problem-solving skills. Once submitted, a technical team member will grade and rank your test.
- Virtual Technical Interview using Codility to dive deep into your technical and problem-solving skills.
- Final Interview, either video or in-person, to enable our leaders to get to know you and give you the opportunity to share all your burning questions about Sulzer US, our culture, and your desired role.
Posting ID: 599676514Posted: 2021-01-23