Based in Maryland, Kirlin Design Build is one of the nation's leading engineering and construction companies. With a focus on large, complex federal and private sector projects, the company has provided exceptional services to its clients and demonstrated an unwavering commitment to its business partners. KDB's talented team of engineers and construction experts prides itself on taking an innovative and collaborative approach to finding the most efficient and effective design build solutions and delivering even the most challenging projects on time and under budget.
KDB is looking for talented individuals who enjoy challenges to join the team. We are currently seeking a Plumbing and HVAC Estimator. This position will be based in Rockville, Maryland and report to our Preconstruction and Estimating Vice President.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Technical Knowledge
- Understanding of plumbing and HVAC mechanical systems performance and code requirements to provide complete estimates.
- Makes continuous efforts to keep abreast of technological advances in the mechanical industry.
- Develops cost saving ideas during the id preparation phase which may be incorporated into the estimate after discussion with preconstruction and/or engineering.
- Provides technical assistance in negotiation contracts and change orders
- Estimate Preparation
- Learns and follows departmental guidelines for bid preparation including software setup and reporting processes.
- Learns and understands the use of the bid workbook to prepare the estimate for proper evaluation.
- Reviews and interprets the scope of work accurately.
- Reviews and understands bid forms and breakdowns prior to commencing the estimate.
- Generate requests for information (RFI) based upon experience to identify risk and situations unclear in the bid documents.
- Reviews plans and specifications to make proper material selections for accurate pricing.
- Pursues material pricing not maintained in the estimating software to prepare accurate estimates.
- Attends site visits, pre-bid meetings and job walks as necessary.
- Maintains and wears appropriate personal protective equipment as required.
- Ability to supplement/complete the design as shown to provide a complete and accurate estimate.
- Verifies materials and labor methods selected are priced according to accepted practices during the bid process.
- Reviews the estimate for accuracy/completeness individually and with the preconstruction team.
- Solicits and accurately incorporate specialty, fixture, drain and other miscellaneous item pricing into the bid sheets.
- Keeps time commitments as required in a fast paced and quickly evolving environment.
- Safety and Security
- Understands and enforces safety requirements in the workplace.
- Considers jobsite safety requirements when preparing estimates working with the safety team when necessary.
- Customer Service
- Serves as Company representative when dealing with the owner, general contractor, vendors and internal customers (i.e. project management staff, safety, coordinators, etc.)
- Profit Management
- Understands and identifies risks and cost saving opportunities whiel working witht he preconstruction and operations teams to develop accurate estimates which include safety and productivity while helping achieve and maintain profit levels established by management.
- Ability to receive, accept and follow instructions on estimating processes.
- Clearly articulates concepts and directions, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret documents - including blue prints and specifications.
- Clearly communicate scope, intent and process used while preparing estimates clearly with individuals and groups.
- Company Policy
- Adheres to all Company policies and procedures with particular attention to items that affect other employees.
- Team Player
- Supports and communicates with all company employees, maintaining a positive attitude at every opportunity.
- Fearlessly asks for help when encountering issues interpreting the documents.
- Fearlessly asks for help when struggling with deadlines and may require assistance to finish the estimate in a timely manner.
- Ability to work overtime when required.
- Ability to work remotely while maintaining a high level of productivity.
- Education and/or Experience
- Minimum of high school diploma or GED
- Some college courses or trade school experience preferred.
- Minimum of five (5) years experience with material and labor take-off of both HVAC and Plumbing Systems.
- Active construction experience as a Project Manager or Foreman is beneficial.
- Software Skills
- Autobid Mechanical (QuickPen) or other estimating software programs is a plus. Knowledge of MS Office (Word and Excel) is needed and can be enhanced as part of the team.
- Industry Knowledge
- Familiar with MCAA Labor Estimating Manual methodology or similar industry standards.
The physical demands of this position are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. This position is based in our Rockville, Maryland office and requires in office work to access estimating related data and partnering with preconstruction teams. The ability to work in the office is required, as well as, work extended hours to meet proposal deadlines. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable an individual with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Competitive Salary
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Disability and Life Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Plan with Company Match
- Paid Time Off and Holidays
- Education Tuition Assistance
An Equal Opportunity Employer: KDB is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. All employment decisions are made on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.
Powered by JazzHR
Posting ID: 608695289Posted: 2021-03-05