Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. is the world leader in serving science, with annual revenue exceeding $25 billion. Our Mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Whether our customers are accelerating life sciences research, solving complex analytical challenges, improving patient diagnostics and therapies or increasing productivity in their laboratories, we are here to support them. Our global team of more than 75,000 colleagues delivers an unrivaled combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and pharmaceutical services through our industry-leading brands, including Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific, Unity Lab Services and Patheon. For more information, please visit www.thermofisher.com.
When you're part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you'll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you'll be supported in achieving your career goals.
Location/Division Specific Information
Location: Carlsbad, CA
How will you make an impact?
The Operations Manager builds and maintains a skilled, multifunctional team required to manufacture high quality proteins with responsibility for safety, quality, cost, effective team/equipment utilization, compliance, and employee development.
The successful candidate demonstrates a sense of urgency, contagious optimism and a "can do" attitude. They lead by example and hold themselves and others accountable, while maintaining productive and professional relationships within the team. They must be approachable, transparent and have the ability to maintain a consistent level of energy and enthusiasm. The candidate must also be strategic, astute and forward thinking as well as have the ability to inspire, motivate and collaborate with others.
What will you do?
- Promote and facilitate the safest working environment for all employees and ensure all team members work safely with equipment, chemicals and hazardous materials
- Effectively build and manage a high performing, multifunctional team of manufacturing scientists and technicians to produce high quality proteins
- Work with team members and planning/procurement teams to develop and execute a manufacturing schedule to meet customer demand
- Ensure proper staffing and training to manufacture proteins according to requirements of the Quality Management System
- Initiate investigations into safety concerns, process failures and product failures
- Identify and implement timely and appropriate corrective and preventive actions
- Create team performance goals and lead team and every individual towards achieving those goals
- Effectively review metrics to benchmark and drive team performance
- Drive Practical Process Improvements (PPI) with a high level of team member involvement and engagement
- Support career development plans and perform full performance evaluations for all direct reports
- Participate in internal and external audits, respond to audit observations and identify and implement appropriate corrective and preventive actions
- Work with Research & Development, Technical Operations, Quality and product realization teams to facilitate the introduction of new products into the manufacturing value stream as required
- Act as a liaison with Product Managers/Business Leaders and members of other operations departments and sites
- Accountable for ensuring system data integrity for manufacturing data elements (BOM, Routing, ACQ, Lead Times)
- Create and manage to an operational budget including compensation, benefits, supplies, equipment and equipment maintenance
- Effectively communicate barriers or issues and obtain needed support for resolution
How will you get here?
- Bachelor's degree in Biology, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Biotechnology or other related discipline, 8+ years of experience in a manufacturing or research laboratory, and 2+ years of management experience/direct supervision of staff
Master's degree in Biology, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Biotechnology or other related discipline, 5+ years of experience in a manufacturing or research laboratory, and 2+ years of management experience/direct supervision of staff
- 3+ years of experience in ISO or cGMP regulated manufacturing environment and specific experience with validation highly preferred
- Must demonstrate strong leadership abilities with capability to build high performing teams, leverage diverse resources, respond quickly, understand impact of changes and decisions, facilitate agreement, build collaborative relationships and understand internal and external customer needs
- Solid ERP system knowledge and an understanding of cost accounting/standard manufacturing financials
- Experience with Practical Process Improvement (PPI) Systems and Tools (or similar Continuous Improvement and Lean Systems)
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office Software
- Must be flexible to work varying schedules and hours as needed
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Strong collaborative skills and the ability to influence others without authority
- Is energized working in a fast-paced environment
- Passionate about building high performing teams
- Consistent, dependable and accurate in carrying out responsibilities
- Displays positive attitude toward job and others
- Results oriented and data driven
- Greets challenge and change as opportunity
- Is curious, inquisitive, innovative, never satisfied with the status quo
- Has excellent project management skills
- Proactive approach that anticipates needs and problems while creating solutions
- Excellent documentation and communication skills
This position has not been approved for Relocation Assistance.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 70,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission-enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.