The McConnell Group (TMG) is a health science company that provides a comprehensive selection of professional and technical services and product design to enhance the success of companies in a rapidly changing market. We are a fast growing company and always looking for professional individuals to join our diverse and talented team of employees. Currently we have an opening for a full-time Animal Care Technician located on Plum Island in Orient, NY.
POSITION DUTIES & REQUIREMENTS:
- Provides routine care to research animals to include feed and water.
- Monitors animal room environmental conditions.
- Observes daily appearances and behaviors of experimental animals (both sick and healthy), records these in VMR, and reports to higher level employee.
- Captures, restrains, holds and positions animals for procedures, examinations, and treatments.
- Dispenses and administers medications (e.g. analgesics, anesthetics and antibiotics) and enters into VMR.
- Collects blood and other tissues, labels them correctly, and delivers expeditiously.
- Assists with animal euthanasia and necropsy following prescribed protocols.
- Dispenses carcasses and body parts following established PIADC safety procedures.
- Cleans, decontaminates, and maintains animal wing spaces and cages in accordance with ARB SOPs. Operates autoclaves, pressure sprayers and misters.
- Uses appropriate PPE and equipment as described in ARB SOPs to protect self and fellow workers from contamination, infection or injury.
- Enters/exits animal isolation rooms and moves between animal rooms in strict accordance with ARB and Safety SOPs to prevent cross contamination.
- Follows written and oral direction.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE & SKILLS:
- AA or BS degree in animal science or related science preferred.
- Background knowledge of working with research animals.
- Capable of performing basic animal care duties with guidance.
- Ability to be trained to achieve AALAS ALAT certification.
- Effective verbal and written communication.
- Employee is often required to lift and carry feed materials weighing up to 75 pounds and to handle such items as feed trays weighing up to 20 pounds.
- Work requires continuous standing and walking on concrete and/or a slippery floor due to nature of the work with animals.
- Employee must have strength and agility to restrain strong and very active animals which weight approximately 500 pounds or more.
- Must be able to receive and maintain a Personal Security Level 3 (PSL-3) clearance and participate in the Occupational Health/Safety Programs.
Compensation / Benefits: TMG offers comp. pay and benefits pkg. including health insurance; paid holidays, PTO; EAP; Education Assistance, 401(k) and College Savings Plan.
The McConnell Group is an equal opportunity employer EOE M/F/Disabled/Vet Job Posted by ApplicantPro
Posting ID: 597500787Posted: 2021-01-20