The Washington Health Benefit Exchange is a public-private partnership that operates the WAPlanfinder mobile app and Washington Healthplanfinder, the eligibility and enrollment portal used by one in four Washington residents to obtain health and dental coverage. Through Washington Healthplanfinder, individuals and families can compare and enroll in health insurance coverage and gain access to financial help and public programs like Washington Apple Health.
The mission of the Exchange, a state-based marketplace, is to radically improve how Washington residents secure health insurance through innovative and practical solutions, an easy-to-use customer experience, our values of integrity, respect, equity and transparency, and by providing undeniable value to the health care community.
The Exchange is also committed to identify and reach groups at risk for obstacles to access coverage, which includes supporting those who need assistance overcoming barriers to seek, find, and use their health insurance coverage. Specifically, the Exchange is embracing the following equity statement:
Equity is a fundamental pillar to the society we seek to build. The process of advancing toward equity will be disruptive and demands vigilance, dismantling deeply entrenched systems of privilege and oppression. We must focus our efforts on people and places where needs are greatest, especially communities of color, and go beyond remedying a particular inequity to address all determinants of health.
Our goal is that all Washingtonians have full and equal access to opportunities, power and resources to achieve their full potential.
The User Experience Strategist will be key in making recommendations about users and design directions based on projects' needs, goals, and constraints. This role will also contribute to defining requirements and design documents as we create new experiences for our digital touchpoints. This role will be a strategic partner with all product teams as we develop new products, features, and enhance legacy products. This role will be a key asset for digital experience on project teams.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Work within the Digital Design team, solving problems conceptually and using data, research, and analytics to validate and inform UI/UX decisions for our digital products.
• Work closely with product and project teams to define the end-to-end user experiences and accessibility.
• Define product-related online user journeys, wireframes, prototypes, requirements, and other UX documentation with sound and clearly communicated rationale.
• Work cross-functionally with software development, design, content strategy, data analysts, and UX research to create and implement new or enhanced experiences.
• Advocate for users fostering a shared understanding of the user-centric intersection between design, marketing, product, and technology.
• Provide counsel to project teams on the appropriate user experience design strategy needed to deliver optimal experiences.
• Improve and innovate on the most efficient ways to work by experimenting with new product journeys and documenting resources.
• Conduct research using a wide variety of qualitative and quantitative methods as well as human-centered digital design principles.
• Communicate research insights and recommendations in compelling and creative ways with team members.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills; Ability to take complex information and distill it into easy-to-understand language. Proficient in writing for the web.
• Maintain and promote cooperative relationships with partner agencies, consumer workgroups, and stakeholder organizations through inclusion in the process to continually improve the Washington Healthplanfinder consumer experience.
• Look beyond the health/insurance industry sector, monitoring all relevant technology and design trends and building a structure for feeding these back into our online experiences.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor's degree required AND five years demonstrable UI/UX design and research skills (NOTE: Qualifying experience may substitute year for year for education.)
• Experience in user-centered design, critical thinking, problem-solving, web interaction design including an understanding of inclusive and responsive design.
• Experience conducting a wide array of quantitative and qualitative research methods.
• Proficiency in digital design tools such as Adobe Creative Suite, Invision, Axure, Morae, or other wireframing tools.
• Strong interpersonal skills; ability to work with all levels of internal management and staff, as well as outside clients, vendors, diverse populations, stakeholder groups, partner agencies, and customers.
• Experience problem solving for complex digital systems.
• Knowledge with Adobe Experience Manager.
• Experience working in Agile/Scrum software development. Jira and Confluence project management tools.
This position will be open until we find a suitable number of candidates to review. If interested, please submit an application as soon as possible. The Exchange reserves the right to close the recruitment at any time.
The posted salary is the new hire range of consideration. Full salary range is from $79,916 - $115,869. Offer will depend on qualifications.
Core business hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Travel requirements will be limited to local travel, however there may be occasions were an employee is required to travel and work irregular hours to attend meetings or trainings. Duties of this position require the use of standard office furniture and equipment (e.g. desk, filing cabinet, computer, printer, telephone, fax machine, copy machine, etc.).
The working conditions and physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
A criminal background screen will be conducted for candidates under final consideration, and if hired, every five years of employment where highly sensitive data is processed or maintained by the position. The result of this background screen must meet the Exchange's eligibility standards.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and levels of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills of personnel so classified.
This is not an employment agreement or contract. Management has the exclusive right to alter this job description at any time without notice.
The Washington Health Benefit Exchange is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
We participate in E-Verify. You can view the Department of Justice's Right to Work poster here.