7900 Westpark Drive (12131), United States of America, McLean, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Senior Director, Software Engineering
Sr Director, Software Engineering -P&PE Software Engineer
Do you think about writing beautiful code while eating breakfast? Do you build applications you are proud of and want to tell your friends about them? Do you appreciate elegant solutions but also know when to build simple first and iterate?
The Team - PowerUp Associate Productivity is seeking a strong, experienced Senior Director with a strong software engineering background to lead the Product Engineering team. This candidate will lead teams that design and deliver software solutions for the Associate experience and will research the needs of the Associate base. This person will be a critical thinker and partner across teams to define scope, strategy and roadmaps removing ambiguity. They will also manage, mentor, and build a horizontal team that works alongside our engineering teams to deliver product transformation across our organization, enabling productivity and efficiency while focusing on excellence and effectiveness. The team is a fast-paced and passionate team that is looking to improve the Associate experience by creating solutions that are simple, secure and seamless. Capital One is a diverse group working on multiple areas including Platform Engineering, Cyber Security, Cloud Computing, and multiple lines of business in the enterprise.
What you will need to bring for this position:
- Experience leading a team in the product development, software development and rapid delivery of next-generation digital products
- Exceptional management skills in by leading software engineering teams to deliver technology prototypes in support of business assessments
- Strong technical leadership ability to inspire your teammates to deliver quality customer-centric solutions
- Intellectual curiosity, insatiable hunger to learn and code on new technologies
- Innovative thinking with a passion for problem-solving
- Ability to collaborate with various partners in the tech and startup ecosystems
- Ability to seed and extend innovation into the greater organization to develop key talent, consistent with that of a leading technology company
- Recruit, motivate, mentor, and lead the best application engineering talent
- Ability to provide a logical framework to support conclusions and ideas
- Great attitude, team player and energy amplifier. Flexible and adaptable to changing priorities and technologies
- Take ideas and concepts, and visualize them in ways such that they are communicated effectively and compellingly for internal leaders, partners and customers
- Understanding of ways to lead a team developing in an Agile environment
- Provide technical leadership to a dynamic team throughout the software development life cycle
- Collaborate with architects, other teams, product owners, and software engineers to drive implementation of new applications
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Conduct design and code review to ensure compliance with standards
- Estimate the level of effort to develop code to meet acceptance criteria
- Ability to work independently in a fast paced, unstructured environment
- Ensure adherence to continuous improvement practices as required to meet quality / time to market imperatives
- Maintain records to document program development and revisions
- A robust portfolio of shipped code on GitHub or other open source contributions and experience with distributed/scalable systems a plus
- Bachelor's Degree
- At least 7 years' experience leading software engineering teams
- At least 6 years' experience with object-oriented programming and design
- At least 6 years' experience in developing web applications and architectural standards
- At least 3 years' experience with Cloud Technologies (AWS or Azure)
Capital One will consider sponsoring a new qualified applicant for employment authorization for this position.
- 5+ years' experience in agile development and methodologies
- 5+ years' experience building enterprise software solutions at scale
- 5+ years' experience with rapid prototyping and interface design testing
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at RecruitingAccommodation@capitalone.com. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations.
For technical support or questions about Capital One's recruiting process, please send an email to Careers@capitalone.com
Capital One does not provide, endorse nor guarantee and is not liable for third-party products, services, educational tools or other information available through this site.
Capital One Financial is made up of several different entities. Please note that any position posted in Canada is for Capital One Canada, any position posted in the United Kingdom is for Capital One Europe and any position posted in the Philippines is for Capital One Philippines Service Corp. (COPSSC).