Central Research is actively seeking a Grants Management Specialist III to support our Federal client in Herndon, VA! The Grants Management Specialist III will provide support for all phases of the grant management lifecycle including planning, requirements definition, Federal Notice development, evaluation, award, post award management, grant award closeout, and administrative support. This position will be telework/work from home until COVID-19 safety precautions change.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Assist with ensuring that each financial assistance award is prepared and administered in accordance with the Federal Grant and Cooperative Agreement Act of 1977, applicable statutes, regulations, OMB guidance, Executive Orders (EOs), and DOI policies.
- Provide grants administration guidance and support to customers, recipients, and others, as needed.
- Maintain the award files (electronic and/or hard copy) in accordance with departmental policies
- Assist in performing analysis of a proposed budget to assure that costs in the award budget are reasonable, allowable, and allocable in accordance with the applicable cost principles.
- Assist with ensuring that pre-award administrative procedures are carried out
- Assist with ensuring recipient's compliance with award conditions and take appropriate action to notify government personnel when there is non-compliance.
- Review, as necessary, subcontracts and sub-grants by the recipient to determine compliance with applicable administrative requirements, requests for foreign travel, and requests for extension of reporting periods.
- Receive and review financial reports submitted by the recipient
- Review and recommend approve requests for advance or reimbursement or contact recipient if payment cannot be made as requested.
- Assist with providing proper notice to any recipient in advance of suspending payments, including information on how to remedy the suspending of payments and the assurance that payments will be resumed once the recipient has met requirements.
- Review recommendations for no-cost amendments (which include, but are not limited to, budget revisions, time extensions to the award period, or changes in the work schedule or key personnel) and draft approval notifications, subject to final approval/action by Government personnel, for submission to the customer and recipient of reason for disapproval by the Government.
- Assist with the management and disposition of Federally owned property by ensuring that the appropriate Property Management Officer is notified of the existence, nature, value, and location of grants property available for disposition as appropriate.
- Assist with ensuring that the award is administratively closed out and, as applicable, and that the official award file is held in the appropriate records holding facility for the appropriate time before the file is destroyed.
- Review the audit report, the recipient’s response, and the customer’s comments and prepare the draft audit resolution proposal for final approval by government personnel.
- Notify recipient of any account receivable which is being established and provide required information about how to make payment as well as consequences of nonpayment.
- Review and assist in processing appeal of financial assistance audit resolution determinations.
- Monitor open financial assistance audit recommendations; ensure that open recommendations are properly implemented or, where appropriate, that a delinquent debt is referred to the appropriate action officer.
- Assist with the review in a timely manner, the following documents for conformance to Government-wide and DOI financial assistance administrative requirements.
- Assist in referral of proposed non-procurement suspension and debarment actions to the Department's Debarring and Suspending Official in accordance with provisions contained in 2 CFR Part 1326.
- Assist with ensuring that any FOIA requests for documents in an official award file are reviewed and released or withheld in accordance with the provisions of the FOIA. If the Grants Officer is not authorized by agency regulations to withhold documents under the FOIA, assist the Grants Officer in development of responsive documents to the appropriate initial denial authority.
- Assist Government officials in notifying the recipient when the award is close to completion and provide guidance for close-out of the award.
- Conduct such additional assignments as may be necessary to support selected grants programs and activities.
- Attend such meetings and events as may be necessary to serve the needs of selected grants programs and activities.
- Education: At a minimum, a bachelor’s degree is required from an accredited educational institution authorized to grant baccalaureate degrees.
- One year of experience performing work commensurate with the level of expertise for this labor category level may be substituted for each year of education.
- A minimum of four or more years of experience are required providing assistance with and recommendations for implementing and managing Federal grants and cooperative agreements; providing assistance in a non-authorizing or approval capacity to government personnel who manage, award, and/or obligate funds for grants, cooperative agreements, and other related instruments and services such as discretionary and mandatory grants, using financial, administrative, business and negotiation procedures; and providing recommendations, for final approval and action by government personnel, related to the competitive or non-competitive evaluation of grants proposals and/or the administration or termination, and/or closeout of grants and/or grants assistance and agreement awards.
- Experience should demonstrate an ability to rely on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals, execute first line responsibilities for projects or functions, and perform a variety of complex tasks with a substantial degree of creativity and latitude under general supervision.
- US citizenship or a minimum of 3 years of lawful permanent residence in the US required per the contract.
- Ability to obtain and retain a Public Trust clearance.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Must be able to effectively communicate with a high volume and variety of people daily.
- Provide assistance in a non-authorizing or approval capacity to government personnel who manage, award, and/or obligate funds for grants cooperative agreements, and other related instruments and services such as discretionary and mandatory grants, using financial, administrative, business and negotiation procedures.
- Provide recommendations, for final approval and action by government personnel, related to the competitive or non-competitive evaluation of grants proposals and/or the administration or termination, and/or closeout of grants and/or grants assistance and agreement awards.
- Must be proficient using Microsoft Office applications, including MS Excel (PIVOT tables).
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Central Research is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. Click here to view the Equal Employment Opportunity Posters.
If you’d like to view a copy of the company’s affirmative action plan, please call 703-382-1970.
If you are an individual with a disability and would like to request a reasonable accommodation as part of the employment selection process, please contact our recruiting office at (703) 382-1363. This telephone line is reserved solely for job seekers with disabilities requesting accessibility assistance or an accommodation in the job application process. Please do not call about the status of your job application if you do not require accessibility assistance or an accommodation. Messages left for other purposes, such as following up on an application or non-disability related technical issues, will not receive a response.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities or qualifications associated with the job. It is intended to describe the general nature and work responsibilities of the position. This job description and the duties of this position are subject to change, modification and addition as deemed necessary by the Company.