Versar, Inc. is a global project management company based in the Washington, DC metropolitan area, with project offices around the world. Since 1969, Versar has provided technical and management support to federal, state, and local government clients as well as to industries worldwide, delivering construction management, environmental sciences, and engineering infrastructure solutions. Versar offers tailored and secure solutions in harsh environments providing clients with comprehensive engineering and construction management, environmental and professional services. Versar, Inc. is seeking a Physical Security Systems Engineer to support our Security Systems business line in our Germantown, MD office. Responsibilities
• Independently evaluates, selects, and applies standard physical security engineering techniques, procedures and criteria using judgement in making minor adaptations and modifications. • Assignments have specific or general objectives and require the investigation of a limited number of variables. • Performance at this level requires developed experience at a professional level.
• Conducts security surveys, threat assessments, and risk analysis. Prepares design criteria, bid specifications, cost estimates, and develops design documentation for high level exterior and interior physical security systems. • Obtains a thorough understanding of the project objectives and goals by studying and understanding the scope of work with particular emphasis on security and engineering requirements, administrative procedures, schedules, level of effort required to accomplish work, compliance related to man-hours assigned to the project and the project completion dates.
• Performs security and engineering analysis, investigations, calculations, and studies required to develop security system concepts.
• Develops the chosen security concept by further study, calculations, and investigations. Prepares drawings in sketch form with sufficient information to be developed by the Security Designers into final CAD drawings.
• Based on the results of the engineering calculations, selects appropriate equipment, and establishes the operational mode.
• Prepares cost estimates and other required supporting documentation in accordance with the client's requirements.
• Performs all necessary fieldwork to verify actual existing conditions and to ensure compatibility with the proposed security system design.
• Prepares specifications. Totally responsible for the adequacy and accuracy of the specifications. • Prepares comprehensive reports delineating results of security studies and makes recommendations to resolve specific problems. The Security Engineer is totally responsible for the contents and accuracy of the report(s).
• Provides the Security Designers and/or CAD operators with all required information to complete the final drawings. • Reviews the drawings prepared by the Security Designers on an on-going basis and is responsible for its accuracy and technical content.
• Reviews shop drawings and conducts site visits.
• Creates as-built drawings from field red-line markups and coordinates with field personnel to produce complete and accurate as-built drawings.
• Provides other in-house organizations with pertinent information related to the security work. In addition, coordinates the security work with architects and other engineers from outside organizations involved in the project. Ensures that the coordination of the security work has been properly implemented.
• Travel domestically to jobsites may be required up to 15% of the time. • It is anticipated that Physical Security Engineer will act relatively independently in the implementation of assignments. Minimum Requirements: • Currently holds, or the ability to obtain, a security clearance.
• Bachelor of Science in Engineering from an accredited college or university plus a minimum of three years working experience in physical security applications or electrical engineering, or twelve years working with a record of performance to be the equivalent to a college degree in the specialty; plus, progressively responsible experience in physical security. • Four of the twelve years in a position in which the incumbent performed consistently on his own with minimum supervision.
• A thorough understanding of physical security systems integration, barriers, access control, intrusion detection, CCTV, lighting, alarm monitoring systems, communications, electrical power, surge protection and grounding.
• Familiarity with Federal Government requirements for physical access control credential management (HSPD-12, FICAMS, FIPS). • Ability to develop systems level designs incorporating IT Enterprise architectures and soft integrations. • Physical Security Professional (PSP) Certification a plus. • Self-motivated individual with a strong technical and interpersonal skills, and a history of professional growth and increased responsibility.
• Ability to communicate well in the English language, both verbal and written.
• Proven interest in maintaining skills by active participation in engineering and/or security societies and other activities related to security.