Apply design engineering principles and practices, managing assigned portions of product development projects, throughout various phases of product life cycles - concept to production. Manage multiple project activities in parallel. Project assignments may encompass:
Concept ideation, concept generation, prototyping
• Redesign of existing product for performance improvement, cost reduction, and/or code compliance
• Participation in product testing and validation activities
• Planning for and transitioning products for obsolescence
• Interrogation of CAD models, drawings, reports and documentation
The ideal candidate in this role will serve on multiple project teams. The expectation is active collaboration in team activities, fosters task commitments, accountability and ownership.
- Determine product and project specifications by studying market and customer requirements inputs. Translate to engineering functional requirements.
- Use requirements to complete technical assessments and trade studies. Research, select, develop and define materials and methods used in developing breakthrough products and processes that have competitive product costs, for value delivered, as compared to the global market.
- Design calculations are critical to predict performance, support trades, evaluate tolerance stack-ups, and be justified under critical review.
- Prototypes will be built and tested, leading to tooled mass-production-ready, fully-validated product. Regular interaction with manufacturing, suppliers and supplier quality is expected.
- Develop tests, analyze test results and make design revisions as required. The voice of the customer and Robust Engineering practices will be the foundation for all specifications, designs and test plans
- Serve as active participant on assigned project teams. Manage and meet commitments that support project scope and schedule. Prepare written and verbal project status updates.
- Create engineering drawings and apply geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (GD&T) per ANSI Y14.5. Review, interpret, and mark-up or change Engineering drawings.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited college or university. An advanced degree in Engineering, Engineering Management or a technical discipline and registration as a Professional Engineer is also desirable.
- 7+ years of related experience.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Experience designing mechanical devices and integrating electromechanical components.
- Demonstrated ability to interpret complex sets of product requirements and apply them to designs. Ability to innovate around requirements.
- Knowledge of manufacturing processes for annual production volumes greater than 10,000 units per year.
- Experience with Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (FMEA)
- Demonstrated ability to perform tolerance stack-ups on complex assemblies.
- Experience and proficiency managing Bill of Material (BOM) structures using best practices.
- Ability to author and manage Engineering Change Notifications (ECN’s) through a workflow process.
- Strong communications through verbal, written, and electronic means including:
- Providing regular status updates as requested. Speak and write English effectively to convey information. Involve all relevant staff members in communications.
- Deliver presentations that are tailored to the audience. Be able to support under critical review.
- Receive general direction, but exercise discretion as to time management, independently identifying, prioritizing and executing tasks. Must possess strong initiative and drive in meeting project milestones and completing deliverables.
- The job requires working closely with others in a team environment. Successfully partner with teammates, suppliers and customers (both internal and external). Establish and leverage relationships to achieve common project objectives.
Posting ID: 601193807Posted: 2021-01-23