Participates in a work crew engaged in a variety of maintenance activities including concrete work, basic masonry, and carpentry tasks and basic stormwater structure maintenance and construction. May lead a work crew in absence of crew or maintenance supervisor and engage in manual labor to complete maintenance and construction work. Operates a variety of small power equipment including tractors, mowers, chainsaws, tampers, blowers, and trimmers. Performs and documents pre-trip vehicle inspections. Operates a variety of fleet vehicles and vehicle accessories including large step vans, pick-up trucks, single-axle dump trucks, utility bucket truck, snowplows, and salt spreaders. Duties are performed under general supervision.Position may be underfilled as a Maintenance Worker; the underfill requirements are stated below in the Employment Standards section.Illustrative Duties
(The illustrative duties listed in this specification are representative of the class but are not an all-inclusive list. A complete list of position duties and unique physical requirements can be found in the position job description.)
Required Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Performs various semi-skilled tasks, to include specialized concrete and asphalt work (e.g., setting forms, finishing, etc.);
- General maintenance and repair of machinery;
- Constructs culverts and catch basins;
- Adjusts manholes to proper height;
- Inspects and approves work of Maintenance Workers;
- Provides guidance and training to Maintenance Workers;
- Assists customers using the homeowner's disposal facilities;
- Ensures that all white goods are properly processed prior to recycling;
- Assists with spill cleanup, onsite at the disposal facility as well as throughout the county;
- Coordinates various activities associated with repair and maintenance projects (e.g., paving, repairing sanitary sewer lines, rodding, and pressure cleaning operations);
- Transports crew and equipment to work site;
- May lead a crew in absence of Maintenance Crew Chief;
- Inspects, and reviews work of a crew engaged in a variety of basic maintenance, construction and grounds keeping activities;
- May Lead grass cutting, sodding, seeding, and fertilizing activities;
- Leads playground equipment maintenance;
- Participates in the maintenance of building walks, gutters, catch basins, and retaining walls, as well as concrete and asphalt paving projects;
- Completes daily and preventive maintenance reports;
- Trains staff;
- Implements safety procedures;
- Engages in safe working practices and complies with safety programs and guidelines;
- Reports and monitors unsafe working conditions;
- Complies with safety competencies.
(The knowledge, skills and abilities listed in this specification are representative of the class but are not an all- inclusive list.)
Employment StandardsMINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
- Working knowledge of small engine equipment;
- Working knowledge of concrete, asphalt, masonry and carpentry work.
- Basic knowledge of storm sewers;
- Knowledge of single axle dump truck, trailer, utility bucket truck, snow plow, spreader, tank truck, water truck and pickup truck;
- Working knowledge of and the ability to use methods, tools and equipment commonly used in
- maintenance, construction, and grounds keeping activities;
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and applicable safety practices;
- Basic knowledge of computers;
- Ability to lead other employees in a variety of activities, maintain records, and prepare reports;
- Ability to follow written and verbal instructions;
- Ability to perform activities requiring manual dexterity;
- Ability to perform basic data entry;
- Ability to work outside with regular exposure to severe weather, noxious fumes, high levels of dust, etc.;
- Ability to perform medium to heavy manual labor;
- Ability to comprehend and comply to safety practices;
- Ability to maintain effective relationships with customers, employees and supervisors.
Any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to completion of the tenth grade; plus two years of experience in maintenance, construction, or a related field.UNDERFILL REQUIREMENTS:
This vacancy may be underfilled at the level of Maintenance Worker (Grade S10, $31,127.62 - $51,879.98). The employment standards for the Maintenance Worker are any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to completion of the tenth grade.CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
For consideration to the underfill requirements
- A valid motor vehicle driver's license.
- Class "B" Commercial Driver's License (CDL).
- Tanker endorsement within 6 months of hire.
, the applicant must possess a valid CDL learner's permit and this must be clearly stated on their application. Applicants hired at this level will be noncompetitively promoted to the advertised level upon completion of an underfill agreement and obtaining a CDL that permits operating a Class "B" vehicle within six months of appointment.NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
Pre-employment, random, and post-accident drug and alcohol testing is mandatory for this position. Applicants must provide the agency with a DMV driving record prior to being interviewed. The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background check and a medical examination to the satisfaction of the employer prior to appointment.
The appointee to this position will be required to participate in emergency callback staffing that is subject to occur twenty-four hours a day/seven days a week (24/7) and may periodically require working 12 to 18-hour shifts.PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Knowledge of the methods, tools, and equipment commonly used in maintenance and construction activities. Two years of driving experience in the operation of commercial motor vehicles. Two seasons of experience operating snowplow and spreader.PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
Pushing, pulling, lifting, bending, stooping, walking, and climbing in and out of catch basins and manholes (including removal and replacement of manhole covers that weigh up to 90 pounds with assistance). Physically and mentally able to use all applicable personal protective equipment in an outdoor environment; including hardhat, eye protection, hearing protection, safety footwear, long pants, sleeved shirt, and personal fall arrest harness. Must be physically and mentally capable of performing confined space entry operations with entry via 21" manholes with vertical descent using integral or portable ladders. The entry includes the use of all applicable protective equipment and documentation. Protective equipment specific to confined space work includes hardhat, eye protection, safety toe boots, personal fall arrest harness, emergency retrieval systems, and atmospheric monitoring equipment. All duties performed with or without reasonable accommodations. NOTE:
This position is listed as "Open Continuous". Interested applicants are advised to submit their applications as soon as possible. Applications will be reviewed and qualified applicants will be referred until the position(s) have been filled or when a sufficient number of qualified applications have been received. If your application is received later in the recruitment process, it may not be reviewed or considered.SELECTION PROCEDURE:
Panel interview and practical skills evaluation.Fairfax County Government prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetics, political affiliation, or status as a veteran in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. EEO/AA/TTY.