I.M. Systems GroupLocation:
US-MD-College ParkJob ID:
I.M. Systems Group, Inc. (IMSG), a Federal Government contractor, is seeking a highly qualified scientist to support the Environmental Modeling Center (EMC) of the National Centers for Environmental Prediction (NCEP) located in College Park, MD. The position is on the use of marine data assimilation activities working towards building a coupled data assimilation system between ocean-atmosphere for Hurricane prediction. This will require coordination with and development of Joint Effort for Data assimilation Integration (JEDI) efforts.Responsibilities
- Development of marine data assimilation using hybrid methods for future Hurricane prediction systems under a common framework for EMC.
- Synchronize data assimilation efforts across the earth system components to work toward building a coupled data assimilation system for use with Hurricane Analysis and Forecast System (UFS) as an application of the Unified Forecast System (UFS).
- Coordinate with the marine observations processing team to facilitate the use of storm-related ocean observations into the marine DA system as per the specifications of the Integrated Observations Data Access (IODA) framework of JEDI.
Develop timelines and schedules for transition to operational implementation as well as scientific benchmark evaluations.Qualifications
- PhD, MS or relevant experience in Atmospheric Science, Oceanography, Computer Science, or other related physical or mathematical sciences.
- Experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Numerical Ocean and/or Hurricane modeling
- Data assimilation, Meteorology/Oceanography
- Developing and testing numerical environmental prediction codes in a high-performance computing environment
- Object oriented programming in Fortran/C++/Python.
- Experience with developing and running complex jobs and processing large volumes of numerical data in a high-performance computing system as well as using advanced statistical analysis tools.
Demonstrated ability to work efficiently in a team environment and communicate effectively using good oral and written communication skills. Candidates must be a U.S. Citizen or Green Card Holder to qualify and must live in US for 3-5 years prior to application (please indicate in your cover letter). To Apply
Please apply online at https://careers-imsg.icims.com. In your cover letter, please indicate the following information:
1) Timeline of availability
2) Citizenship Status
3) Salary requirements for considerations
NOTE: Provide three References
IMSG is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disability/Veteran friendly
Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision
Posting ID: 599163141Posted: 2021-01-14