Dewberry has an excellent opportunity for a Senior Coastal Engineer
in our expanding coastal resilience practice in Fairfax, VA
. The successful candidate will provide technical and project management leadership for coastal engineering and flood resilience projects. The candidate will be primarily engaged in a strong backlog of compelling resilience projects, but will also support business development and further growth of the service area. The individual will engage with a diverse group of passionate water resources professionals to provide high-quality, integrated solutions to our clients. Project geography will primarily be in the northeast and mid-Atlantic U.S and experience in those geographies is preferred; however, the position will also support project work across the U.S. coast as opportunities arise.
Dewberry is a leading, market-facing professional services firm with more than 50 locations and 2,000 professionals nationwide. What sets us apart from our competitors are our people. At Dewberry, we seek out exceptional talent and strive to deliver the highest quality of services to our clients. Whether you're an experienced professional or a new graduate, you'll have the chance to collaborate with the best and brightest and work on innovative and complex projects at the forefront of the industry. Our commitment to excellence stems from our personal integrity and from other defining attributes, which we call "Dewberry at Work," that have inspired our employees to be successful for more than a half-century.
Candidates should have proven project experience with coastal hydraulic modeling, structural design and evaluation of design alternatives with working knowledge of resilience concepts and integrated solutions. Other desired project experience required for this position includes: structural protection, coastal hazard and risks assessments, bank stabilization, scour analysis, levee analysis, artificial reefs, water control structures, dune restoration, shoreline protection, marsh creation, sediment diversions, and hydrologic diversions and restoration.
Modeling experience with ADCIRC/SWAN, MIKE-21, Delft3D, etc. is highly preferred .
Required Skills & Required Experience
- Lead and support coastal planning, engineering, modeling, design, construction, marine structure, and resilience studies or projects
- Provide technical leadership for coastal engineering and numerical modeling efforts
- Manage projects and/or project teams on an as-needed basis
- Lead and support business development for coastal engineering services
- Provides guidance and mentorship to junior staff
Must have a valid driver's license, good driving record and ability to pass a driving record background check.
- Experience establishing design wave and water level parameters for structural design
- M.S. or Ph.D. in coastal, ocean or marine engineering or related field
- P.E., or ability to obtain P.E. within 12 months of hire highly preferred
- 10-15 years practical experience in the field
- Proven ability to lead and collaborate with project teams
- Candidate must have exceptional writing and communication skills
- Client focus, marketing and business development skills
*At this time, Dewberry will not sponsor a new applicant for work authorization.
*Dewberry is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation.
*All recipients of an offer of employment from Dewberry, will be required to submit to a background screening which may include, but is not limited to, employment verification, educational and other credential verification, driving record check, criminal background check, and an investigative consumer report. These screenings will be conducted by Dewberry's background vendor of choice and will be conducted in compliance with all applicable federal, state, and local law.