Infiltrator Water Technologies is a leading provider of engineered plastic chambers, synthetic aggregate leachfields, tanks, and accessories for the onsite wastewater and storm water industries. Our mission is to improve the performance of onsite septic systems by producing the highest quality products in the industry. Infiltrator's commitment to product design, environmental excellence, and manufacturing innovation continue to be the cornerstone of our success.
IWT is the leader in our industry operating some of largest molding machines and robotics producing the largest plastic molded parts in the world. IWT has always and continues to compete on innovation; we hold over 200 patents and aggressively defend them. We strive to be safe in all we do and see automation, not only as a tool to improve efficiency, but also a means of eliminating potential injury from hazardous manual operations.
IWT is looking for a highly motivated experienced Manager of Manufacturing Automation to facilitate an aggressive transformation to next level automation of our rapidly growing operations, including more than a dozen manufacturing facilities across the country. This role would provide strategic and technical leadership to a team of engineers and technicians to identify and prioritize target opportunities, develop designs, estimate costs, and present such opportunities to executive management for approval. Candidate must have a proven record of interfacing with multi-disciplinary teams including production, quality, product development and finance.
Typical projects would include conceptual design, development, validation and on-going support of new product development and associated manufacturing equipment / processes as well as conversion of current manufacturing yet to be automated. Current robots in use are largely supplied by Fanuc and range from 6-axis R2000i series 165F to the M2000iA 900L on a 7th axis handling molded parts in excess of 250 pounds. Automation cell capabilities range from simple part picking from molding machines through more complicated cells that pick parts, visually inspect, trim flash, weigh parts, conduct secondary operations (including router cutting, laser etching, etc.) and palletize.
Position reports to the VP of Manufacturing.
- Identify and assess potential opportunities for savings (labor and overhead) associated with automation implementation.
- Convert identified opportunities into project proposals with clearly documented objectives, cost estimates, and projected financial returns – Present proposals to executive management for funding approval.
- Provide project management support to the team in managing deliverables, timelines, alliances, and budgets for automation including design, qualification, and start-up activities.
- Provide technical guidance and expertise to team members.
- Drive focus on safety benefits of automation activities and provide oversight to projects assuring such focus within the team.
- Prepare and maintain departmental budget.
- In coordination with management, establish and maintain a current forward-looking automation strategy.
- Hire, train and develop staff as required to support the business plan. Provide for the personal and professional growth of staff through coaching, feedback and opportunity.
QUALIFICATIONS (must have):
- BS in Engineering with a minimum of 5 to 7 years' experience leading manufacturing automation department
- In depth knowledge and understanding of production and utility automation, instrumentation, and control equipment encountered in injection molding facilities.
- Extensive experience in automation cell implementations including strategy design, business case development, governance and risk; must have advanced programming skills.
- Strong business skills including budget management experience.
- Strong background in project management; proven ability to work on multiple projects and manage various priorities and timelines.
- Proven leadership and teamwork skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, as well as presentation skills
- Ability to work on multiple projects and manage various priorities and timelines.
- Excellent computer skills, including AutoCAD/Solidworks (or like). Microsoft Office, and MS Project
- Design and application knowledge of ergonomic and machine safety standards
- Understanding and functional knowledge of PLC's, low voltage controls, three phase power distribution, vision systems. Electronic sensors, pneumatics, hydraulics and robotics
- Position is located in the Lexington, KY area
- Occasional travel to satellite facilities required.
- Knowledge / experience in plastics manufacturing and recycling industries
- Lean manufacturing practices (Kanban, Poke-Yoke, JIT, Value Stream Mapping)
Posting ID: 598568424Posted: 2021-01-12