Overview (Summary) of Responsibilities:
Responsible for performing complex and/or specialized patient-oriented procedures under the supervision of a clinician, Registered Nurse (RN), or Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN) to ensure safe patient care.
- Schedule: Full-time, Monday - Friday 8am-5pm
- Location: Monterey Park, CA
- Specialty(ies): Primary Care (IM/FM)
- Non - Exempt
- Consistently exhibits behavior and communication skills that demonstrate Optum's commitment to superior customer service, including quality, care, and concern with internal and external customers
- Uses, protects, and discloses Optum patients' protected health information (PHI) only in accordance with Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) standards.
- Checks Touchworks for patients' arrival status and escorts patients from waiting area to exam rooms. Escorts patients to ancillary services as needed.
- Obtains, records, and reports vital signs and other pertinent patient information to RN, LVN, or clinician.
- Performs various procedures such as ear lavage, ECG, spirometry, injections, peak flows, pulse oximetry, breathing treatments, suture removals, wound dressings, vision/hearing tests, urine pregnancy tests, urine dips, blood glucose testing, and blood hemoglobin (hemocue) testing.
- Performs phlebotomy and processes lab specimens (i.e., 24 hour urine, wound cultures obtained by clinician, biopsy specimens obtained by clinician, etc.) and maintains lab specimen logs as appropriate.
- Assists clinician with procedures (pap smears, laceration repairs, other minor surgical procedures) and may assists with more complex department specific specialty procedures (i.e. vasectomies, cystoscopies, thoracentesis, sigmoidoscopies, bunionectomies, joint aspirations, lance surgery, photo therapy, visual fields, pachymetry testing, etc.).
- Performs medication administration within scope of practice and documents administration of medications and procedures in Touchworks. Ensures proper documentation of medication administration and documentation procedures in Touchworks.
- Maintains and cleans exam/treatment areas, specimen processing areas, and medical equipment. Transports dirty equipment, performs autoclaving and cold sterilization, and maintains autoclave, cidex, and A-test logs. Cleans and stocks exam rooms, treatment/procedure rooms, specimen processing areas, and nursing stations.
- Maintains various logs and tickler files and ensures confirmed EKGs are seen by clinician. Maintains cancer/melanoma patients' follow up appointments.
- Instructs patient on lab, radiology, and other procedure/testing preparations. Participates in visit closure with patient and clinician by explaining next steps for lab, x-ray, RFS, DME, etc.
- Facilitates the transfer of pertinent patient information between site and referred specialists, hospitals, Urgent Care Centers, and ancillary testing facilities, etc. Forwards all pre-op information to hospital surgeon. Participates in scheduling specialty procedures (biopsies, minor surgeries, etc.).
- Tracks specialty procedures/patient volume on a daily basis when indicated.
- Verifies with Optum Connect for approved or denied appointments and follows up by scheduling patients. Enters "No shows" into IDX, and performs "No Show" follow up procedures. Works bump list.
- Assists with the completion of appropriate forms (DMV, disability, etc.).
- Updates patient demographic information in IDX.
- Performs patient record audits.
- Answers, directs, and follows up on incoming calls.Calls patients as requested by clinician.
- Distributes incoming correspondence (faxes, consult notes, test results, etc.).
- Handles prescription refills as appropriate.
- Completes Patient Communication form and responds to patient complaints when necessary.
- Assists with Pay for Performance (P4P) research, Hierarchical Condition Categories (HCC) research, telephone call procedures, and patient follow up procedures.
- Participates in Quality Improvement projects.
- Participates in preparing department for internal and external site audits from SCAN, DHS, etc.
- Participates regularly in skills competency evaluations. Participates regularly in site staff and department meetings.
- Cross-trains into Care Team Member 1 and 2 positions when indicated.
- May assist with site marketing activities (i.e. health fairs, senior Olympics, and other events).
- Maintains an independent patient schedule under the direct supervision of a clinician.
- Functions as the department mentor, trainer and resource by orienting new employees and coordinating staff schedules and department resources.
- Identifies and resolves daily department issues and concerns and escalates to supervisor when necessary.
- Participates in the development of department policies and procedures.
- 1 or 2 years of post-high school education or a degree from a two-year college.
- Graduate of an accredited Medical Assistant program.
- Phlebotomy certificate.
- Basic Life Support for Healthcare providers" (AHA) or "CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer" (American Red Cross).
- Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) preferred.
- Over one year of previous Medical Assistant work experience.
- Over 1 year experience as an Optum medical assistant.
- Over 1 year of experience in a specialty field.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to demonstrate basic medication administration
- Manual dexterity to use/handle equipment and instruments.
- Knowledge of infection control standards and utilization of Personal Protection Equipment (PPE).
- Ability to perform essential job functions using proper body mechanics.
- Basic Life Support for healthcare providers.
- Computer literate (i.e., logging on to computer, usage of keyboard and mouse, familiarity with Windows and email applications).
- Ability to type 40 wpm.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with ability to read, write, speak and understand English clearly.
- Customer service oriented.
- Ability to concurrently perform multiple tasks.
Posting ID: 589392528Posted: 2020-11-29