Position: Sr. Manager of Software Engineering
Location: Remote or Rockville, MD
Love to lead teams and shape the future of businesses? If you’re a determined software engineering manager who can lead teams and get lost in a technical problem while still having fun, Lurn might be the right fit for you.
Lurn is growing fast and looking to hire a talented and experienced technical leader that has intentionally transitioned to people management and is looking for a new challenge. As a Sr. Manager of Engineering, you will lead multiple software engineering teams to meet the growing demands of our project roadmap.
As a leader, you will work alongside skilled, passionate leaders and team members across many departments who love to share their experience while having your voice heard and opinions weighed.
A few technologies utilized by our engineering teams include Vue.js, Php / Laravel, Docker, MySQL and various services by Amazon Web Services Cloud. We use Salesforce Sales & Service Cloud, as well as a variety of Digital Marketing and Analytics tools. We are strong believers in continuous integration, continuous delivery, and continuous improvement!
This role is critical to our digital product strategy and execution. You will have a direct impact on Lurn’s growth and the educational experience of thousands of entrepreneurs by bridging the gap between business insight, eLearning, commerce, and engineering.
So if you’re highly motivated and love to lead, send us your resume. We look forward to hearing from you!
Responsibilities / What You’ll Do
- Partner closely with stakeholders across Sales & Marketing, Operations, Content, Operations, Customer Service, and Finance in addition to Product and Engineering to collaboratively and iteratively plan, execute, and deliver important product features while always keeping in mind long-term maintainability.
- Ensure the team has clear direction and priorities.
- Own, operate, and maintain your team’s applications and services in production and non-production environments.
- Provide support and guidance that enables the team to self-organize and to achieve sustained high velocity and predictability.
- Manage employee career development by providing coaching, mentoring team members, and planning goals, while guiding team members to maximize their potential.
- Institute development best practices to ensure the team produces high quality, well-architected and supportable code
- Ensure there is cross-training and a healthy balance between features and technical debt.
- Pair with, unblock, and technically mentor leaders and engineers on your team.
- Act as a role model to others on the team by exhibiting a strong work ethic and fostering a positive and inclusive environment.
- Be an advocate for your team across the organization, proactively looking for opportunities to leverage this team’s expertise.
Skills / What You Need
- Strong team leadership ability is required, with 5+ years' experience as a direct manager of teams in a technical role, and 2+ years managing Technical Team Leads
- Demonstrated critical thinking and creative problem solving skills.
- Experience with strategic planning and setting strategies across DevOps, Marketing, Commerce, and Product development
- Hands on leader with a strong prior software development experience who is capable of working directly alongside your team when called upon.
- A strong understanding of the marketing and business sales cycles, as well as experience in eLearning or Commerce technologies
- An effective communicator. Confident in influencing and engaging with a highly skilled and experienced audience including C-level executives.
- Able to work in a fast-paced, virtual environment
Big Pluses / Nice to have
- Salesforce certifications
- Amazon AWS Cloud certification
- Agile Scrum certifications
- Work Location: Onsite in Rockville, Maryland or Remote
- Work Authorization: US Citizens or permanent residents (Green Card holders) only
- Health/Dental/Vision/LTD all paid for by the company except a small portion of your health insurance, and $250,000 of life insurance for each team member that can be converted to whole life at your discretion
- 401k - We contribute 3% of your TOTAL compensation, that is mandatory per our plan, not a company match!
- 20 days of PTO that starts accruing the day you start!
- 10 Holidays including two floating holidays you can use as you see fit
- Virtual and in person sponsored work events
- Company-provided laptop and monitor for use throughout your employment
- Silicon Valley style Lurn Center with a gym, nap room, and arcade
- Fully stocked break room (Coffee, sodas, and snacks galore!)
- Company swag for you to show off your new company ;)
- A team that truly cares about you and your success!
About Lurn, Inc
Lurn, Inc is an online eLearning platform for entrepreneurs that aims to empower, encourage and educate entrepreneurs. Our cutting-edge training, information and technology platform empowers others to create & grow passion-based businesses. We have 1 million active subscribers from over 30+ countries, all who are familiar with our brand and trust Lurn.
Lurn, Inc is also a Washington Business Journal Best Places to Work company and has won several Comparably Workplace Awards:
- Best Company Culture
- Best Company Leadership
- Best Company for Women
- Best Company for Diversity
Powered by JazzHR