The Prince William Surgery Center is a full service outpatient surgical facility conveniently located on the Prince William Hospital campus in Manassas, Virginia. This state-of-the-art facility offers the latest in surgical technology and a strong-patient focused team of professionals that are unrivaled. We are looking for a top-performer with solid knowledge of Pre- operative and PACU/ Recovery Nursing. This is a fast paced environment that is driven to reach the highest quality and satisfaction outcomes in Virginia.
The PRE-OP/PACU RN
has the responsibility to plan, direct organize, coordinate and implement all nursing
care services for the pre-op and post surgical patients in a manner consistent with our mission statement.Nurses work within both pre-op holding and a post-anesthesia care unit (formerly known as the recovery room), where patients are cared for and monitored as they recover from the effects of anesthesia. The nurses responsibilities include all aspects of patient care prior to and following surgery. This care includes monitoring heart rate, blood pressure, breathing and respiration, as well as managing the pain and nausea that often follow anesthesia. Additionally they are responsible for:
- Admits, transfers, and dischargeofpatients.
- Completes ongoing patient assessment and documents according to policy.
- Completes nursing assessment within 2 hours of admission or designated amount of time; designates reason for incompleteness. Reviews database and nutrition screen.
- Participates in the development of patient plan of care to include patient problems, goals, evaluations and interventions.
- Reports symptoms and significant changes in patient's condition to appropriate personnel immediately.
- Assesses, collaborates and coordinates patient's discharge planning needs and readiness for discharge with other members of the care team.
- Demonstrates appropriate application of age specific standards, policies and procedures and guidelines in caring for adolescent, adult, and geriatric patients.
- Demonstrates proficient IV setting skills.
- Follows age specific standards in administering medications based on patient's age.
- Follows age specific standards of care during altered states of consciousness related to analgesia, conscious sedation or anesthesia.
The surgical site itself requires ongoing evaluation for potential bleeding or other pathological indications. Thepre-op/pacunurse is in charge of assessing the patient's overall condition during the delicate post-anesthesia period, providing care and intervention as needed.Ability toadvocate on behalf of the patient and communicate with other members of the surgical team is a MUST!Documentation and patient education are also components of this critical nursing discipline. In our outpatient surgical setting, it's thepre-op/pacu nurse who instructs patients in self-care techniques following the procedure and critical post-care instruction in order to ensure the best outcomes for the patient.Required Skills:
EDUCATION, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
- Graduate of an accredited school of nursing
- Current Virginia Nursing License
- Current BLS, ACLS and PALS
- Minimum of 2 years experience in Pre-Op/PACU
- Strong knowledge of surgical procedures and management of the surgical patient
- Understand principles of aseptic technique and their implementation
- Ability to care for patients from infancy to geriatrics
- Knowledge base to recognize, evaluate, solve problems and correct errors
- Ability to quickly adapt to changing condition of the patient when needed
- Excellent teaching skills
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Demonstrate strong professional and ethical behavior
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with patients, physicians and fellow employees. (TEAMWORK)
- Strong customer service skills
- Demonstrate accountability, creativity, innovation and be receptive to change
- Possess basic knowledge of Performance Improvement ideology
* Previous experience working in an ambulatory surgical setting preferred.Location:
Employment practices will not be influenced or affected by an applicant's or employee's race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status or any other legally protected status. Tenet will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship.
Tenet participates in the E-Verify program. Follow the link below for additional information.