The Housing & Financial Counselor is responsible for conducting financial capabilities and pre-purchase housing counseling, renter’s counseling, education and credit counseling services. Counselors provide an array of services and interventions for families who are experiencing a housing crisis or other financial challenges that effect their capacity to maintain options for adequate housing. Counselors provide comprehensive services to help families and individuals become financially stronger. They are responsible for providing information and guidance to individuals that will enable them to meet their housing goals. They are well versed in housing options and financial analysis. Housing Counselors must be solution-oriented problem solvers who are understanding and non-judgmental. They are the consumer’s advocate and to better serve the consumer must build relationships with lenders and landlords. This position requires the use of independent judgement and decision-making skills.
Main duties include:
- Obtain and keep HUD certification as a Housing Counselor.
- Assist with submitting relevant applications and documentation.
- Follow up to ensure that benefits applications are complete and accurate.
- Maintain a caseload of housing counseling clients interested in becoming homebuyers.
- Engage clients individually to provide customized education, guidance and referrals.
- Teach clients to prepare a budget, track expenses and provide strategies for budget improvements.
- Provide individualized credit counseling services; strategies for building credit and reducing debt.
- Assist clients with development of action plans designed to meet their goals.
- Use coaching methodology to promote client responsibility for problem solving and goal achievement.
- Support client throughout the home buying process.
- Utilize client management system to enter and update data in a timely manner.
- Create, maintain, and update client files on a regular basis per compliance guidelines.
- Maintain workload reports.
- Provide individual and group housing counseling services that include but are not limited to the following; foreclosure prevention counseling and assistance, rental housing counseling and assistance.
- Maintain client databases (Salesforce client tracking software and others) and prepare reports as needed.
- Maintain knowledge of local housing market dynamics and of Federal, State, and other laws concerning real estate and lending.
- Provide rental counseling and mediation to tenants and landlords to assist individuals in obtaining/maintain safe, decent and affordable housing.
- Maintain confidentiality of participant case files per established policy.
- Report on available resources to the FOC team during regular meetings to ensure that other coaches are aware of opportunities.
- Report program outcomes to Program Manager by deadlines.
- Ensure full compliance with company policy and/or, but not limited to all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations as related to job function.
- Acquire necessary job training/certifications to perform job duties.
- Must consistently demonstrate the ability to independently produce positive business outcomes aligned with organizational strategic initiatives and goals.
- Must perform job in a safe and ethical manner and with a positive and respectful attitude towards Alliance staff and clients.
- Perform other duties as assigned including airport pick up of newly arrived refugees.
Required Qualifications and Experience at this Level
- Some college required; Bachelor’s degree preferred in Social Work or related field.
- Prefer minimum 6 months of experience in providing Housing Counseling services.
- Must obtain housing counseling certification within 1 year of employment.
- Knowledge of HUD policies, procedures, state and federal regulations.
- Knowledge of landlord tenant rights and fair housing laws.
- Excellent case management skills, especially with the low-to-moderate income population.
- Strong ability to manage a large and diverse pool of clients at different stages of the rental and/or home buying processes.
- Strong ability to meet aggressive performance goals for program services.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office including Excel and other job-related software/e-technology/cloud based solutions.
- Demonstrated cross-cultural understanding and skills; bi-lingual in Spanish preferred.
- Ability to communicate and respond to questions in a professional and knowledgeable manner.
- Multi-task and remain detailed oriented and organized.
- Work independently.
- Maintain confidentiality and strong client service at all times.
- Consistently demonstrate strong problem-solving skills and a creative approach for generating new ideas with the principles of continuous improvement.
- Ability to follow specific instructions and adhere to safety guidelines.
- Must have a commitment to humanitarian issues, particularly as related to refugees, immigrants and marginalized populations.
- Must have valid driver’s license, clear driving record, auto liability insurance and reliable transportation as required to drive on company business. Must have sufficient internet connectivity for work-at-home assignments.
Posting ID: 567290997Posted: 2020-09-26