Group Exercise Instructor
The Group Exercise Instructor will lead members, in a group environment, through a pre-arranged format of exercises designed to enhance overall fitness, strength and endurance, while ensuring that the safety of the members is not compromised. The Group Exercise Instructor will also serve as a resource to educate members on various aspects of fitness.
Major Responsibilities: Pre-class Preparation:
Arrive at class location 10 to 15 minutes ahead of scheduled start time to be available to interact with members, answer questions, inquire about their fitness progress, introduce and orient new participants. Group Exercise Instructors should know their participants on an individual basis and have a good sense of their fitness capabilities.
Clothing should be appropriate fitness attire. It should not prohibit participants from seeing proper form, alignment and movement of the body. However, clothing should not be revealing in an inappropriate manner. When possible, Group Exercise Instructors should wear Gold's Gym branded attire. Proper footwear should be worn at all times.
Prepare appropriate music for class. If using multiple tapes, ensure everything is rewound and ready to play when needed. Refrain from using music with offensive language.
Ensure all equipment is functioning correctly and have microphones ready.
During Class Responsibilities:
- Introduce yourself and the format of the class.
- Inquire if there are any "first-timers" in the group and if so, assess their fitness level in as private a manner as possible.
- Make sure all verbal instructions are clear and that the volume, tempo of music and overall atmosphere is conducive to hearing, teaching, learning and having fun.
- Continually monitor participants to ensure all participants are using correct form. Offer variations of the routine to accommodate all fitness levels.
- Create a motivational and fun environment for all participants.
After Class Responsibilities:
- Remove all music and return microphone to proper place.
- Make sure room is in order for the next class to begin.
- Answer any questions/concerns participants may have.
- Solicit feedback from participants about the class.
- Make sure that class begins and ends promptly. If necessary, make adjustments to the flow of the class to ensure adherence to the schedule.
- If the Group Exercise Instructor is teaching the last class of the day, please follow proper closing procedures as outlined by the Group Exercise Director for the individual facility.
- In the event that a Group Exercise Instructor cannot fulfill a scheduled class, it is his/her responsibility to find a qualified/approved substitute and notify the Group Exercise Director if there is a problem finding a substitute.
- Group Exercise Instructors must be dependable and consistent in their class schedules. Anyone committing to teach a class should make all arrangements so that substitutes or cancellations are a rare occurrence.
- Attend all required staff meetings as necessary.
- Ensure that proper time recording procedures are followed correctly and in a timely manner.
- Prepare any incident and/or witness reports as necessary in the event of accidents.
- Maintain a positive and professional attitude towards his/her responsibilities, fellow employees, and members.
- Promote Gold's Gym and GGX as much as possible.
Qualifications & Requirements:
- At least six months teaching in a group exercise format.
- Knowledge of safe exercise technique and group exercise principles.
- Knowledge of basic physiology and body mechanics.
- Performance of a variety of exercise routines.
- Positive and effective interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to operate and troubleshoot audio equipment
- Instructors having a specialized skill such as Yoga, Pilates, Body Pump, Body Attack, etc. must provide verifiable proof of education.
- Minimum of 6 months teaching in a group environment.
- Group fitness certification by ACE, AFAA, ACSM
- Current CPR certification and basic first aid training is required.
- Physical demands include, but are not limited to the ability to lift light weights, bending, squatting, jumping, running, reaching, walking, hopping, spinning and kicking.
Today Gold's Gym is the most recognized name in fitness serving more than 3 million members in 38 states and 28 countries around the world. Always at the forefront of the fitness revolution, Gold's Gym has continually evolved its profile by equipping gyms with the best amenities, the latest in cardio and strength training equipment and functional training areas as well as the most dynamic group exercise programs including Zumba, yoga, group cycling, mixed martial arts, muscle endurance training, and Pilates. We also offer signature classes which include GRIT, P90X, and RIP 60.
Gold's Gym is growing and looking for new team members to help us redefine strength. We'll challenge your skills, talents and abilities and reward your every success. Ask yourself if you have what it takes. Become an active participant in our growth and you'll share in the rewards for your efforts.