Dewberry is a leading, market-facing professional services firm with more than 50 locations and 2,000 professionals nationwide. What sets us apart from our competitors are our people. At Dewberry, we seek out exceptional talent and strive to deliver the highest quality of services to our clients. Whether you're an experienced professional or a new graduate, you'll have the chance to collaborate with the best and brightest and work on innovative and complex projects at the forefront of the industry. Our commitment to excellence stems from our personal integrity and from other defining attributes, which we call "Dewberry at Work," that have inspired our employees to be successful for more than a half-century.
Dewberry is a privately held, family-owned business with a proven history of providing professional services to a wide variety of public- and private-sector clients. Recognized for combining unsurpassed commitment to client service with deep subject matter expertise, Dewberry is dedicated to solving clients' most complex challenges and transforming their communities. Established in 1956, Dewberry is headquartered in Fairfax, Virginia. Dewberry Architects Inc.
is seeking a Director of Operations
for their Fairfax, VA
office. This position will report to Dewberry's President of Architecture.
Dewberry's engineering and architectural disciplines are directed by strong practice area leadership, who along with service group and operations leadership serve federal, state/local and commercial markets. Dewberry Architects Inc. (DAI) has significant expertise and portfolio in the federal market, including national security work; justice market segment, including corrections, courts, and public safety; the healthcare and wellness market segment; community facilities including civic and public facilities; and education market segment. A 120-person full-service practice, disciplines include architecture, interiors, planning, as well as access to in-house civil, structural, mechanical, electrical, and plumbing engineering; security and technology; and landscape architecture. Dewberry has 85 registered architects and 170 LEED Associated Professionals. DAI supports clients nationwide from Dewberry's Fairfax, VA, Orlando, FL, Houston, TX, Tulsa, OK, Peoria and Elmhurst, IL, Sacramento and Pasadena, CA, offices.
Responsibilities Vision for the Director of Operations Role
The Director of Operations is responsible for implementing tactics contributing directly to the firm's success in meeting its objectives of sustained growth and profitability through visionary leadership and business acumen, under the direction of the President. The person we seek will have the ability to relate and connect with people for the purpose of inspiring and empowering their professional careers. Reporting Responsibilities
Under the direction of the President, the Director of Operations is responsible for the development of operational processes necessary to generate consistent business performance. The President and Director of Operations represent DAI's executive management team.
The Director of Operations works closely with the President of DAI in the leadership and growth of DAI's practice. This includes developing and executing the architectural strategic plan, business development strategies, operational performance, and value-added strategies for the betterment of the practice in collaboration with other Dewberry companies and operating units. Characteristics Desired
The Director of Operations will embrace Dewberry's culture as captured in Dewberry at Work principles. The successful candidate must have the ability to plan and implement innovative and measured steps to perpetuate growth of the practice. He/she must openly embrace and promote positive actions to bring about change in constructive and accelerated ways; demonstrate flexibility; skillfully handle risk and uncertainty; and support others when required to achieve company goals and objectives.
The Director of Operations, in concert with the President, will be expected to develop trusting and complementary relationships across all Dewberry companies, market segment and service groups leadership, and business unit leadership. He/she is expected to be an active contributor and partner to the strategic and business direction of Dewberry Engineers Inc. and Dewberry Design-Builders Inc. and their associated operating units.
Required Skills & Required Experience General Responsibilities and Additional Expectations
Sales and Marketing Responsibilities
- Embrace the Dewberry at Work Core Values.
- Be an appropriate fit with Dewberry's culture: entrepreneurial, strong business understanding, client-focused, align quality of life issues with developing strong performers.
- Drive business performance to meet the annual budgeted objectives.
- Must have financial understanding and experience in improving financial practices (reduction of expenses, management to a competitive overhead, and attention to the bottom line).
- Lead Business Unit Managers through budget processes and take ownership of the consolidation of their input in the overall company budget.
- Advise and direct Business Unit Manager's to make regular course corrections as may be required to meet established operational goals.
- Through subordinate management ensure the successful and coordinated implementation of the corporate operations goal (Goal 4).
- Actively lead and participate in the development and growth of a major market segment (i.e., justice, healthcare and wellness, community facilities, or education).
- Has strong business development and relationship building skills.
- Maximize collaboration and business development opportunities with Dewberry Engineers Inc., Dewberry Design-Builders Inc., and their associated operating units.
- Excellent speaking and communication skills.
- Know how to handle pressure and has experience with responding to and managing crisis situations. Very adept in dealing with risk and conflict.
Professional Experience/Critical Skills
- Assists DAIs Principals and client managers in winning work.
- Demonstrates ability to apply strategic thinking to winning clients and projects.
- Has strong network with other professional firms (architecture and engineering) and is able to leverage it for strategic teaming opportunities
- Maintains active participation in relevant professional organizations, community and civic organizations to promote the firm.
- Promotes integrated sales/services for the full portfolio of service offerings to the clients as appropriate.
- Coordinates and participates in meetings and presentations to clients and fills the role of executive client manager for strategically important clients.
- The successful candidate will have a minimum of 20 years' experience to include 15 years of experience in the vertical market, leading a sector or company.
- Experience as a leader in a firm with multiple offices.
- Professional Degree (BA or MA) in architecture required.
- Professional architectural registration required.
- Keen awareness of industry competition with an ability to identify and promote differentiators that will provide DAI a competitive advantage.
- Excellent client relations and presentation skills.
- Ability to promote Dewberry through active participation in client organizations and business organizations
Must have a valid driver's license, good driving record and ability to pass a driving record background check.
- Strong leadership skills; strategic thinking.
- Strong business instincts with a demonstrated ability to influence others through persuasion, negotiation and consensus building skills. Must be both an effective team member and leader, mature, confident, and with professional presence.
- Personally creative, and innovative with an openness to new strategies and ways of thinking.
- Understands and is invigorated by identifying, accepting, and successfully solving challenges.
- Strong interpersonal skills; able to deal effectively with personnel at all levels and gain their commitment.
- Able to navigate and build consensus among leadership.
- Able to build trusting and positive relationships across the Enterprise's leadership and management team.
- Capable of emersion in details to assist in solving problems, issues, claims, client, and business challenges.
- People oriented; able to create an environment where subordinates are encouraged to develop their skills to the utmost.
- Entrepreneur with deep commitment to build brand recognition, embraces innovation and nurtures great talent.
- Experienced and willing to travel, knows that travel comes with the territory.
- Lives in proximity of the Fairfax, VA office or will relocate to be housed in our Fairfax, VA office.
*At this time, Dewberry will not sponsor a new applicant for work authorization.
*Dewberry is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
*All recipients of an offer of employment from Dewberry, will be required to submit to a background screening which may include, but is not limited to, employment verification, educational and other credential verification, driving record check, criminal background check, and an investigative consumer report. These screenings will be conducted by Dewberry's background vendor of choice and will be conducted in compliance with all applicable federal, state, and local law.