Description/Job SummaryCompany Values
In the performance of their tasks and duties all employees are expected to conform to the following Superior values:
INTEGRITY "Adhering to our principles" EXCELLENCE "Continually raising the industry standard"
COMMITMENT "Upholding our promises" PARTNERSHIP "Creating positive relationships"
This position keeps machines, mechanical equipment, or the structure of an establishment in repair. Duties may involve pipe fitting; boiler making; insulating; welding; machining; carpentry; repairing electrical or mechanical equipment; installing, aligning, and balancing new equipment; and repairing buildings, floors, or stairs, industrial production and processing machines, conveyers and equipment used at the asphalt plants.
- Disassemble machinery or equipment to remove parts and make repairs.
- Repair or replace broken or malfunctioning components of machinery or equipment.
- Repair or maintain the operating condition of industrial production or processing machinery or equipment.
- Examine parts for defects, such as breakage or excessive wear.
- Reassemble equipment after completion of inspections, testing, or repairs.
- Observe and test the operation of machinery or equipment to diagnose malfunctions, using voltmeters or other testing devices.
- Operate newly repaired machinery or equipment to verify the adequacy of repairs.
- Clean, lubricate, or adjust parts, equipment, or machinery.
- Analyze test results, machine error messages, or information obtained from operators to diagnose equipment problems.
- Record repairs and maintenance performed.
- Inspect and maintain equipment for optimal operation (oil, grease, clean, etc.).
- Conform to OSHA and Superior required safety protocols in servicing, maintaining and using equipment.
- Input purchase orders and work orders for equipment, tools, service and other necessary items used for maintenance and repair.
- Clean, care and maintain all equipment, and property of the plant.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required SkillsJob Requirements
- 1 year of industry experience using a crusher or experience with Superior Paving.
- Ability to operate a crusher machine using electronic controls to regulate flow of materials to and from conveyors, chutes, pumps or storage bins.
- Ability to start crusher, use hand bar and tools to break or discard lumps and prevent plugging.
- Ability to learn how to adjust equipment such as screens, conveyers and fans to control or vary size of grade or to maintain uniform flow of materials.
- Ability to use and read a tape measure.
- Good eye-hand coordination.
- Ability to pull up your own weight and sit in one position up to 12 hours per day.
- Ability to climb up to 15 steep industrial stairs to access equipment controls and view station.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs unassisted.
- Ability to read, follow and interpret safety documents, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals.
- Ability to follow verbal and written instructions.
- A good understanding of Superior Paving policies and procedures, to ensure safe operation of the machines and equipment being used.
- Ability to work overtime, weekends, and nights as required.
- Valid Driver's License preferred.
- Ability to speak, read and write English.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Attendance/Punctuality - is consistently at work and on time; ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
- Safety and Security - observes safety and security procedures; reports potentially unsafe conditions; uses equipment and materials properly.
- Teamwork - contributes to building a positive team spirit; puts success of team above own interests.
- Quality - demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Productivity/Quantity - meets productivity standards; completes work in timely manner; strives to increase productivity; works quickly.
- Dependability - follows instructions, responds to management direction; commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Communication - listens and gets clarification; responds well to questions.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Essential functions may require maintaining physical condition necessary for standing, walking, bending, stooping, pushing, pulling, twisting, grasping; and seeing and hearing within normal ranges. Must lift and/or move up to 50 pounds unassisted throughout the hour and shift.
Work Environment/Tools and Equipment
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Vehicle and field environment; travel from site to site; exposure to noise, dust, fumes, vibrations; temperature variations and inclement weather conditions; work around heavy construction equipment. Work on uneven or wet surfaces.
Tools and equipment regularly used; crusher machine, rake, shovel, poles, hand bar, tape measure, hammer, screwdriver, wrenches, all hand tools, jackhammer, Volt and Amp Meter, Thickness gauge, a variety of hand tools and other equipment maintenance tools.