As a member of CoreSites Operations Support Center (OSC) team, and reporting to the OSC Supervisor, the Control Center Technician will be responsible for a variety of IP and Telecom Engineering support, performing network related troubleshooting and configuration. Management of network and facility maintenance scheduling, customer and staff maintenance inquiries, and monitoring a wide variety of systems and devices on various platforms. The Control Center Specialist role will be able to manage small projects independently.
- Provide support of the Telecom and Network infrastructure environment, 24 x 7 on-call support may be required.
- Respond to SNMP trap alarm notifications and resolve/repair issue
- Make recommendations for updates to SNMP trap notifications
- Day to day support on all network related issues (support tickets, new circuit turn ups, etc.)
- 1st and 2nd level technical support (i.e. 802.1q, Q-in-Q, P2P) on all Ethernet connectivity (IDC to MMR, IDC to IDC, Inter-site)
- 2nd level technical support on all TDM circuits (T1, E1, DS3, OCx, Clocking, etc.)
- Continuous grooming of overall network to improve network reliability and scalability
- Day to day technical support on peering issues, route server issues, etc.
- Provide support on special requests such as rDNS name change, sFlow data, traffic utilization
- Manage IPAM Database
- Review/Implement maintenance requests and analyze for risk to customers from a global perspective
- Ensure adherence to listed protocols in the standard operating procedure for maintenan
- Work with the local field operations team to adjust the schedule as appropriate to maximize uptime while accomplishing the scope
- Responsible for monitoring CoreSites Data Center network equipment, critical systems and infrastructure
- Analyze alarms for risk to customers based on information from the NMA, building automation and monitoring systems
- Escalate high risk alarms if required
- Provide dedicated alarm monitoring for specific maintenance as they occur
- Work directly with the local field operations team performing the maintenance to ensure the MOP is adhered to and uptime is maximized.
- Provide Tier 3 troubleshooting input during an event related to the power and cooling plant
- Manage facilitation of a high severity incident bridge
- Determine appropriate resources to engage and notify to join the bridge
- Provide OSC incident notifications to the appropriate groups impacted
- Deliver internal incident broadcast to Senior Management
- Maintain incident records during an event
- Open and close maintenance windows with the local field operations team and communicate the maintenance window status to customers as appropriate.
- Provide day-to-day customer support as needed while on shift.
- Perform other duties as specified in the Standard Operating Procedures and/or as directed by CoreSite Management
- Travel to other CoreSite data center for onsite support and/or maintenance
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- A flexible schedule with the ability to work non-standard business hours and weekends as needed
- Experience working in a data center environment
- Familiar with Computerized Maintenance Management Systems
- Good knowledge of switched network topologies, VLANs, trunking, spanning tree, port configuration
- Good knowledge of network tools such as ping, traceroute, telnet, nslookup, etc.
- Good understanding of the OSI Reference Model
- Good understanding of digital hierarchy: DS0, DS1, DS3 and SONET networks.
- Experience working with SONET network elements
- Experience working with DWDM
- Good understanding of Peering or experience working with Internet Exchange Points
- Experience dealing with Tier 1 & 2 carriers, ISPs, etc.
- Understanding of copper and fiber cabling
- Demonstrate technical knowledge and experience in electrical and mechanical support systems to include power distribution systems, emergency power, UPS systems, DC power, HVAC, and fire alarm and suppression systems
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills
- Strong problem solving and troubleshooting skills
- Proficient with MS Office Suite with emphasis in Outlook, Excel, Word and Visio
- Willingness to learn in a fast-paced, often changing environment, adapts well to new processes and procedures and work well under pressure
- Proven ability to work independently with little supervision. Takes initiative to complete tasks that need to be addressed and work with a sense of urgency that puts the customer first
- Must be able to type 50 wpm; general computer skills are essential
- 3-5 years work experience in a technical capacity, prior experience in a Data Center Operations Center or Data Center Facility Operations strongly preferred.
- Bachelors degree or trade school preferred.
- Minimum 5 years of networking experience with Brocade and Cisco OS or equivalent
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to stand 1/3 2/3 of the time
- Ability to walk 1/3 2/3 of the time
- Ability to sit 1/3 2/3 of the time
- Ability to climb and balance 1/3 2/3 of the time
- Ability to stoop, kneel, crouch and crawl 1/3 2/3 of the time
- Ability to reach with hands & arms 1/3 2/3 of the time
- Ability to smell, talk & hear
- Ability to use hands to type, handle, feel
- Ability to reach with hands and arms
- Ability to see at close and distance ranges and the ability to see color
- Ability to lift up to 100 pounds 1/3 of the time
Benefits & Life at CoreSite:
Not only does CoreSite have a fun, team-focused work environment, but we also offer great benefits!
- Medical and Vision coverage through Cigna Heath Care
- Dental Insurance through Delta Dental
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan with a Company Contribution
- Life Insurance, Short-Term & Long-term Disability Insurance fully paid by the company
- Medical and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (FSA) Plans
- Free parking or a company contribution toward a public transit pass
- 16 days of Personal Time Off (PTO)
- 10 paid Holidays
- Wellness Program with annual incentive
Please note: Relocation assistance will not be provided for this job. If you are interested in a role like this, but currently do not live in the defined location, we encourage you to view our other open positions.
CoreSite is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Race, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, genetic information, disability, veteran status or any other status protected by applicable law are not taken into account in any employment decisions. CoreSite completes a variety of background check assessments (including inquiries of criminal history and drug tests) in accordance with all federal, state and local laws.
Candidates are considered consistent with the requirements of the FCIHO and other applicable regulations. If you require assistance or an accommodation to successfully complete an application with CoreSite, please notify us.
Thank you for your interest in CoreSite.