Volunteer Fairfax (VF) is the regional volunteer center serving Fairfax County and the National Capital Region. We serve a population of nearly 1.5 million people and we partner with leading regional public agencies, non-profits and corporations. Established as a private nonprofit in 1974, we have been the heart of volunteerism in the region for 45 years.
Volunteer Fairfax mobilizes people and resources to meet regional community needs. Our mission is to amplify community impact through targeted matching of volunteer resources to community needs in Fairfax County and beyond. We are dedicated to promoting volunteerism to all ages, and carrying the ethic of volunteerism to future generations through our programs and public awareness activities.
The Special Events & Corporate Volunteer Services Coordinator (SECVS) is responsible for managing or supporting major annual events or smaller ad hoc events for managing a portion of the center’s Businesslink portfolio which engages corporations in service. This position is a part of the VF Corporate Services/Events Team and works together with staff to implement the various planned events.
Special Events (50%)
- Plan and manage a cadre of annual special events for VF.
- Current special events.
- The Fairfax County Volunteer Service Awards Ceremony (April)
- Give Together – A Family Volunteer Day (January)
- VolunteerFest® (October)
- Management of events include:
- Follow provided budget for event and keep expenses at or below given parameters
- Work with internal team to develop and implement creative themes
- Locate and secure venue
- Work with venue events management staff to negotiate prices, plan menu and all venue logistics, audio visual needs, timeline and supply drop off
- Determine and coordinate programmatic aspects of event to include registration, volunteer coordination, and post evaluation.
- Work with Communications Director to plan and implement events’ outreach plan
- Work with vendors to and select and order supplies for event
- Update website with accurate information
- Work with and solicit event partners including Board of Supervisors, Sponsors and Board of Directors
- Work with staff to develop and finalize creative collateral for event (i.e. invitation, program, etc.)
- Hire and manage interns to assist with events
- Coordinate and manage registration
- Develop audio visual program
- Plan for and lead staff and board in their assistance of special event
- The opportunity to propose and create new special events based on VF needs.
Corporate Volunteer Service Management (45%)
Through Businesslink, VF pairs corporate clients with nonprofits and arranges days of community service for the corporate client’s staff. In coordination with other Corporate Volunteer Services/Events staff members, you will manage a portion of the Businesslink portfolio of corporate days of service and serve as liaison between partner nonprofits and corporate client to include all aspects from project proposals to day of project management.
This includes initial meeting with corporate client to scope services required for day of service, creation of project proposal, coordination of project sites, ongoing communication with corporate lead and specific Site Leads, placement and training of staff, day-of coordination, and creation of final report.
- Create proposal of projects to corporations for selection
- Ongoing communication with Corporation Lead and specific Site Leads
- Coordinate and attend all site visits between VF, corporations and nonprofits
- Organize project logistics, supplies, research transportation, and work with site leads
- Coordinate projects at all selected locations
- Create master plans that contain all necessary information for corporations and VF site leads
- Place and train staff for day of event
- Provide program details, such as mission of agency and brief description of volunteer work to corporations to populate the volunteer registration database
- Provide information to site leads to give to registered volunteers
- Includes: time, location, directions, needed resources, appropriate dress and mission statement and information of nonprofit
- Serve as a VF site lead day of event
- Create survey to be sent to Volunteers for post evaluation of event
- Compile results of evaluation as well as event details and suggestions for following year for corporation leadership into final report
- Works with Development Director and other Corporate Services/Events staff to identify and contact potential corporate clients.
Other Program Support (5%)
- Provides support to all program staff as needed.
- Supervise in-house volunteers as needed.
- Performs other duties as needed.
- Some VF events and activities require physical effort such as lifting and moving project supplies (up to 50 lbs) and standing for long periods of time.
- As some VF activities require offsite attendance, must have a valid driver’s license and access to an automobile for local travel; may also need to be able to drive a cargo van or 10-14” truck.
- On occasion this position will require out of the area travel for training and corporate activations
- Superior oral and written communication skills
- Self-starter with the ability to work independently on projects with minimum supervision
- Ability to work as part of a small team in a fast-paced environment
- Strong attention to detail and ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to work effectively with volunteers
- Ability to foster client relationships (corporate and nonprofit partners)
- Ability to work collaboratively with internal staff and corporate and nonprofit clients
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Proven experience (two to five years) of event planning/volunteer management and/or related experience; volunteer experience is also desirable
- Solid competency in Microsoft Office products, Web research & mass Email software
- Previous experience working or volunteering in a non-profit organization preferable
- Project management experience a plus
- College degree preferred
Salary, which is dependent on experience, ranges from $32,000 to $37,000. Volunteer Fairfax offers a comprehensive benefits package which includes medical (including dental and vision) short term disability, long term disability and life insurance; Simple IRA with up to 3% match; vacation and sick leave; paid time-off to volunteer in the community each quarter; flexible scheduling; and professional development opportunities.
How to apply
Please submit a cover letter explaining why you think this is a match for you and for Volunteer Fairfax, resume and salary requirement to: Emily Swenson, Chief Administrative Officer, (email@example.com). In the subject line of your email, please include "SECVS --your last name." Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Volunteer Fairfax (VF) is the regional volunteer center serving Fairfax County and the National Capital Region. We serve a population of nearly 1.5 million people and we partner with leading regional public agencies, non-profits and corporations. Established as a private nonprofit in 1975, we have been the heart of volunteerism in the region for more than 40 years.
Volunteer Fairfax mobilizes people and resources to meet regional community needs. Our mission is to amplify community impact through targeted matching of volunteer resources to community needs in Fairfax County and beyond. We are dedicated to promoting volunteerism to all ages and demographics, while championing volunteerism to future generations through our programs and public awareness activities.