The VR Hardware team is looking for an experienced Product Design (Mechanical) Engineering Manager to lead a diverse team of engineers to design the next stage of Oculus headsets. As a Product Design Engineering Manager, you will play a critical role in bringing VR to our customers. Our ideal candidate has experience leading hardware teams to ship consumer devices and has a passion for building great teams and developing people. This is a complex and operationally challenging role that will afford the opportunity to lead the development of technologies that have the potential to change the way humans communicate and interact regardless of distance.This is a full-time position.
- Manage engineers working on complex VR Hardware devices for consumers
- Work closely with dedicated recruiting staff to expand the team, participating in conferences/events, and onboarding new employees
- Understand technical architectures, long term and short term planning, hardware roadmapping, and other issues to create comprehensive plans for prioritizing technical and resourcing challenges
- Assess employee performance frequently, address under-performance, and recognize and promote performance
- Partner with product management, technical program management, manufacturing, operations and other engineering groups to facilitate effective collaboration between teams
- Help engineers develop their careers, assigning them to projects tailored to their skill levels, long-term skill development, strengths, and work styles
- Willingness to travel upwards of 10%, domestic and international, to support builds, meet with suppliers, and work with a multi-site hardware team
- BS in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent degree
- 8+ years experience in shipping consumer electronics with knowledge of mechanical engineering fundamentals
- 2+ years of experience managing teams of mechanical engineers
- Creative thinking and experience delivering in a new product category
- Experience working closely with contract manufacturers and other suppliers in Asia
- Knowledge of state-of-the art mechanical design and simulation tools, prototyping tools, manufacturing technologies and materials
- Experience providing technical contributions to innovation-driven product design teams
- Experience working with UX, ID, manufacturing, reliability, and other cross-functional teams
- Proven communication skills to inspire your team and convey technical details to diverse audiences
- 4+ years of experience managing teams of mechanical engineers
- Proficiency with NX and TeamCenter
- Experience with Optical Systems, depth sensors, image sensors
- Experience with Human Factors, wearable technologies and technical soft goods
- Experience designing products with complex thermal systems
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Facebook is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.
Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Posting ID: 598853020Posted: 2021-01-19