is currently searching for an Attorney to focus on Labor and Employment law
The position will be based in the Company's headquarters in Gaithersburg, MD. Most of the lawyers in the Employment Law Group are based in that office, including the head of that Group.
The Group acts as labor and employment counsel to the United States segment of a large global company that provides contracted management services, primarily food and environmental services, to a robust variety of institutions, including hospitals, colleges and universities, corporations, senior living communities and entertainment venues. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
Provide Labor and Employment Law Counseling
Provide advice and counseling to clients on a large range of employment-related matters and issues including the following:
- The legal risks of potential personnel actions, including disciplinary actions and terminations;
- Legal compliance with federal, state and local employment statutes, and serve as a subject matter expert in certain specialized areas of interest;
- Achieving desired employment actions while minimizing legal risk;
- Dealing with difficult or poorly performing employees; and
- Wage and Hour compliance.
Manage Outside Counsel to Defend Employment Litigation
- Assign litigation to appropriate outside counsel;
- Coordinate defense with outside counsel, ensuring compliance with Employment Law Group defense practices;
- Provide information and documents as requested and/or which facilitate defense;
- Oversee litigation and provide guidance on conduct of litigation;
- Monitor and approve legal fees;
- Assist in negotiation of settlements; and
- Assist in trial of litigation, if necessary.
Respond to Attorney Demand Letters
- Review and investigate allegations contained in letters from attorneys demanding compensation for former or current employees;
- Respond appropriately (in writing, orally) to all demand letters; and
- Where appropriate, negotiate settlements of claims in demand letters.
Represent Company Before Federal and State Agencies on Matters Such as Wage and Hour Issues, FMLA Claims or OSHA Retaliation)
- Investigate and defend charges of unlawful conduct filed with various federal and state agencies;
- Provide written response, where necessary, to claims of unlawful conduct; and
- Represent Sodexo in hearings, as necessary, on claims of unlawful conduct.
Report to Executives on Formal Labor and Employment Matters
- Prepare quarterly reports on all formal labor and employment matters (e.g., litigation, demand letters, administrative agency matters); and
- Evaluate claims and provide risk analysis and liability assessment on matters.
Develop Personnel Policies and Key Employment-Related Personnel Documents
- Assist in development of written employment policies and practices;
- Advise on ways to adjust to and manage exposure to new or increased legal risks, e.g., wage and hour compliance; and
- Assist in development of separation packages and settlement agreements, as necessary.
Train and Educate Human Resources and Operations
- Conduct training seminars on legal issues, including sexual harassment, equal employment opportunity, wrongful discharge, wage and hour, litigation and charge avoidance; and
- Provide periodic updates to clients on significant developments in the law.
Assist in Investigations
- When requested, assist Human Resources, Operations, Security or EEO Representatives in conducting investigations, typically of discrimination or harassment claims.
Assist in Defense of Administrative Discrimination Charges
- Assist in strategy for defense of EEO discrimination charges, as needed;
- Assist in conciliation of administrative discrimination charges and assist in settlement discussion of same; and
- As necessary, represent Sodexo before the anti-discrimination agency regarding administrative discrimination charges.
- Juris Doctor degree
- High degree of independent judgment and responsibility
- Considerable experience and expertise in labor and employment law;
- Proven ability to recommend creative solutions to complex business problems with employment law implications
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Capability to analyze complex written and verbal information
- Ability to travel as needed
- Significant experience with anti-discrimination laws and wage and hour laws generally
Responsible for handling a variety of moderately complex assigned legal projects and cases. Provides in-house legal advice and counsel to managers. Evaluates case liability and financial exposure for appropriate compliance. May supervise outside legal counsel.
Qualifications & Requirements
Basic Education Requirement - Juris Doctorate (J.D.) or LL.M. (Master of Laws)
Basic Functional Experience - 3 years of experience as a practicing attorney
Sodexo is an EEO/AA/Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran employer.