Ranch Hand Level 1 – Dog Care Specialist
The Dog Ranch Resort, lower Alabama’s premier dog daycare, boarding, grooming, and basic training business, is searching for select entry-level candidates to oversee and interact one on one with dogs, maintain the facilities, and provide basic training.
Dog Ranch Resort is devoted to providing the highest quality pet service. Our pets provide an unconditional amount of love, devotion, and companionship to us every day. We love our dogs and believe that they deserve the highest quality care and treatment when their owners are away. From Min Pins to Mastiffs we welcome all sizes and breeds. We believe customer satisfaction is the most important.
As a Dog Ranch Hand, you will be interacting with dogs and their owners. It is your job to provide a pleasant experience during the dog’s stay by maintaining a clean and safe environment. You will also be responsible for leading the dog’s daily activities, from training to exercising, to nap time you will ensure that all of the dog's needs are met.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
The Ranch Hand Level 1 - Dog Care Specialist is responsible for the supervision, control, cleanliness, and management of boarding and daycare dogs, their environment, basic training, and ensuring the safety of the dogs in the playgroup. The Ranch Hand reports to the Ranch Manager.
- Checking in/out Dogs for Daycare and Boarding.
- Interacting with owners with professionalism providing care information (i.e. behavior, exercise; activities)
- Overseeing large groups of dogs.
- Feeding, watering, nurturing, and caring for dogs.
- Taking assigned dogs in and out of runs for regular exercise.
- Providing basic dog training to each dog.
- Maintaining daily routines for dogs as outlined in the Dog Daily Schedule (food and water, potty breaks, free play time, one-on-one training time; leash time)
- Removing vomit, feces, and urine from crates, the building, and the yard.
- Following all rules and guidelines in the handling and movement of all dogs.
- Cleaning as outlined in the AM opening routine, mid-day cleaning, and PM closing checklist routine.
- Following all health and safety procedures as prescribed by the facility for cleaning pet waste and materials.
- Being familiar with and following all directions set forth by the manufacturer in the use of cleaners and equipment.
- Maintaining clean dogs runs, and overall environments at all times.
- Monitor signs of disease or distress.
- Monitor food and water consumption.
- Give rewards and treats for good behavior.
- Lifting and moving pets as needed.
- Brushing, bathing, cleaning ears, and clipping nails for guest dogs.
- Taking dogs in and out their kennels.
- Learning about dog behaviors and the ability to provide basic training for all dogs.
- Assisting with dog training classes.
- Assisting clients with their dogs.
- Taking dogs to veterinarians for emergency treatments, if necessary.
- Ensuring the safe transport of animals.
- Administering medications as directed by the Owners on the Boarding checklist.
- Applicants must consent to and be able to pass a background check
- Applicants must consent to and pass a drug screening test
- Applicants must have great communication skills and be good with people
- Applicants must be able to work around dogs of all types, breeds, and temperaments
- Applicants must be able to work well on their own
- Applicants must be able to work as part of a team
- Applicants must be dependable, punctual and very responsible
- Applicants must come to work clean, well-groomed; dressed in uniform
- Perform other related duties as required during working hours
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND EXPERIENCE
- Must have a genuine love for dogs and enjoy working with people
- One year of dog handling experience
- Minimum of a high school diploma or general education degree (GED)
- Minimum of 2 years of work history in a professional environment
- Work is performed in a dog kennel setting.
- Exposure to high noise levels when in the kennel area.
- Subject to animal bites and scratches while handling animals of questionable temperament.
- Occasional lifting of over 60 pounds.
- Standing on feet for 8 or more hours a day.
- Exposure to wet and/or humid conditions, and indoor and outside weather conditions.
The Applicant must demonstrate the following personal attributes:
- Be honest and trustworthy
- Be respectful
- Possess cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Be flexible
- The Ranch Hand may have to manage a number of dogs/people/situations at one time and maybe interrupted frequently to meet the needs and requests of client owners and dogs.
- The Ranch Hand may find the environment to be busy, noisy and will need excellent organizational and time and stress management skills to complete the required tasks.
MENTAL DEMANDS (Conditions that may lead to mental or emotional fatigue)
- The Ranch Hand deals with a very active dog environment as many of the dogs may have special needs and require considerable attention.
- Required to be available Monday through Sunday and major US holidays.
- Candidates will be supervised at all times by the Manager.
Note: This job description does not list all the duties of the job. You may be asked by supervisors or managers to perform other instructions and duties. You will be evaluated in part based upon your performance of the tasks listed in this job description.
Management has the right to revise this job description at any time. The job description is not a contract for employment and either you or the employer may terminate employment at any time, for any reason.
The Dog Ranch Resort is an equal opportunity employer.
This information is provided for informational reasons only and is subject to change without notice.
Powered by JazzHR