Important Update: In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, Kaiser Permanente is moving to a virtual recruitment process including telephone and video interviews to help ensure the health and safety of our employees, candidates, and communities. Also, some hiring activities may be delayed or suspended in certain geographic areas and job categories. For more information on Kaiser Permanente's response to COVID-19, visit our Resource Center .
Passion + Vision + Integrity = Excellence
Ensure consistency and the highest ethical standards across our entire organization. Our quality assurance team drives ongoing improvement by fostering an environment of support, providing technical and specialized consultative services, and inspiring ongoing excellence.
EVP, Chief Medical Officer
Submit Interest Location:
Oakland, CA Additional Locations: Job Number:
886623 Date posted:
The Executive Vice President, Chief Medical Officer (EVP, CMO) is the Kaiser Foundation Health Plan, Inc. and Kaiser Foundation Hospitals (KFHP/H) national leader responsible for overseeing the enterprise quality agenda to ensure that all members and patients receive excellent care and service throughout Kaiser Permanente. This leader must be a nationally recognized expert with a track record of integrating quality innovation, research and care delivery operations to drive improvements in health outcomes. The EVP, CMO will work collaboratively across the organization and in partnership with Permanente Medical Group leadership to advance Kaiser Permanente-s enterprise quality agenda. Essential Responsibilities:
- Ensuring the ongoing advancement of Kaiser Permanente-s enterprise quality agenda in collaboration with the Permanente Medical Groups. This requires initiating, leading, coordinating, and supporting a broad range of enterprise strategies and operational activities related to achieving industry leading quality, service, patient safety, and risk management. Particular emphasis is placed on leveraging the Kaiser Permanente integrated model and information technology through transformational strategies, research and innovation.
- Advancing a research agenda with national and international impact, improving quality and health outcomes for populations both inside and outside of Kaiser Permanente.
- Supporting the KFHP/H governance process for the Boards of Directors. As the most senior quality leader in the organization, the EVP, CMO engages with the Quality Health Improvement Committee (QHIC) around the organization-s quality agenda and ensures that quality and regulatory activities in KP medical centers are brought forward to the QHIC to fulfill its strategic and governance oversight responsibilities for the organization.
- Providing leadership in collaboration with Legal, Compliance and regional leadership to promote compliance with all applicable legal and regulatory requirements related to the provision of care to KP members and patients.
- Acting as the Medical Director for Medicare Advantage, and Part D regulation, to ensure the clinical accuracy of all organization determinations and reconsiderations involving medical necessity as well as providing oversight for the health plan operations that involve medical and utilization review, benefit, formulary and claims management, and quality assurance activities affecting Medicare members.
- The EVP, CMO contributes as a leader for the overall KP Program including serving on the organization-s National Executive Team (NET) under the Chairman and Chief Executive Officer. This leader will also serve on the CEO Executive Committee, the most senior leadership team in the organization. Basic Qualifications:Experience
- Minimum ten (10) years of executive leadership and management experience in the healthcare industry including both healthcare delivery and health plansEducation
- MD or comparable degreeLicense, Certification, Registration
- CA medical license would be expected to be obtained Additional Requirements:
- Experience in high-profile national or international physician leadership roles in quality, service and research
- Successful executive leadership in complex organizations undergoing substantial business process and organizational cultural change
- Successful management of complex strategies and initiatives to completion meeting budget and timelines and achieving outcomes
- Significant speaking and writing experience at the national or international level Preferred Qualifications:
- Professional medical degree and clinical practice experience preferably in an integrated group practice Primary Location:
California,Oakland,Ordway One Kaiser Plaza Scheduled Weekly Hours:
Mon. - Fri. Working Hours Start:
8:00AM Working Hours End:
5:00PM Job Schedule:
Full-time Job Type:
Standard Employee Status:
Regular Employee Group/Union Affiliation:
Salaried, Non-Union, Exempt Job Level:
Senior Executive Job Category:
QA / UR / Case Management Department:
Yes, 20 % of the Time Kaiser Permanente is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, parental status, ancestry, disability, gender identity, veteran status, genetic information, other distinguishing characteristics of diversity and inclusion, or any other protected status.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.
Click here for additional requirements >
See What People are Saying About Working at KP
Come introduce yourself to a member of the Kaiser Permanente team at an upcoming career or professional event. We look forward to meeting you in person.
You do not have any recently viewed jobs.
Join Kaiser Permanente's Talent Network
Please fill out the fields below and click "Join Now" to receive information about opportunities that relate to your selections.
Enter First Name
Enter Last Name
Search for a category and select one from the list of suggestions. Search for a location and select one from the list of suggestions. Finally, click "Add" to create your job alert.
Select Job Location*