Monday - Thursday work week with 10 hour shifts covering second and third shift.
Reporting to the Safety Manager, the Safety Assistant provides support to the Safety Department. S/he is responsible for assisting with training and orientation sessions as well as written materials review.
This position has the responsibility to comply with Safety work rules at all times as well as an obligation to reinforce Safety as a Core Value. Ensures that all policies, procedures and activities, related to Food Safety & Quality, are followed and complied with uniformly, in an effort to reduce product and process variability.DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
EDUCATION AND EXPEREINCE REQUIRED:
- Educate and communicate safety to employees through one-on-ones, group meetings, classroom style trainings, conferences, orientations, newsletter, etc.
- Compile data and generate reports by entering data into computer, determining information to include in reports, verifying data and distributing reports to appropriate parties.
- Monitor and analyze data such as, safety inspections, exposure level testing, injuries, safety incentive program, SDS program, etc.
- Perform safety audits and inspections as directed by the Safety Manager.
- Assist with investigation of unsafe acts/conditions, ergonomic incidents and injuries.
- Promote and ensure health and wellness through education and training.
- Coordinate committee meetings- such as safety committee, ergonomics team, first responder team and haz-mat team among others.
- Collaborate with processing supervisors, managers, outside contractors and maintenance personnel on capital improvement projects to ensure work is completed in a safe manner.
- Follow MFEPC Safety Policies as well as OSHA regulations to enforce safe work practices.
- Participate on plant teams as a leader, action item owner, meeting scribe as needed or assigned
- Provide clerical support to the Safety Manager.
- Assist with maintaining the training records database.
- Help ensure training files are up-to-date for all employees.
- Issue safety supplies to employees.
- Translate documents.
- Assume personal responsibility to ensure safe and healthy workplace for everyone. Adhere to all safety policies and procedures and, incorporate safety and health in all jobs and tasks.
- Adhere to Quality work practices, follows GMP's, maintains sanitary conditions and ensures that product quality is maintained. Reports to management any conditions or practices that may adversely affect food safety and quality.
- Ensure regulatory compliance at all times.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Able to work flexible hours and shifts including weekends and overtime as needed.
- Excellent English written and verbal communication skills. Must be bilingual in Spanish.
- Proven ability to work with and teach employees with diverse backgrounds and learning methods/abilities.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office including Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Word. Experience with SharePoint and Access a plus.
- Have an intermediate level understanding of OSHA.
PREFERRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
- Associate's degree (AA) or equivalent combination of education, training and/or experience. An Associate degree (A.S., A.A.) or two year technical training beyond high school in basic office skills, computer operations, bookkeeping/accounting or human resources, with a minimum of 1 year of related experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job.
- A minimum of 2 years' experience in a related field (i.e. general safety, HR, business, etc.).
- Ability to speak effectively before groups, customers/vendors or employees of the organization.
- Ability to effectively facilitate meetings and provide training to all levels of employee.
- Demonstrates the ability to maintain positive interpersonal relationships and work effectively with others to complete work assignments.
- Must have the ability to work independently, establish priorities and accomplish objectives with minimal supervision.
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail and follow-up/follow-through.
- Ability to solve fairly complex problems and manage multiple tasks.
- Ability to obtain OSHA 10-hour certification within 90 days of employment.
- Ability to obtain a Certification in First Aid/CPR/AED or First Responder within 180 days of employment.
- Some applicable experience in a risk management environment.
- Knowledge and previous application of adult education and learning techniques.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups, customers/vendors or employees of the organization.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Must be able to travel for the purpose of performing safety audits, training and supporting other locations safety needs.
- Open to change.
Posting ID: 564110512Posted: 2020-07-23