Job Title: Grocery Manager
Reports to: Assistant Store Director
Salaried or Hourly: Hourly
Division: Seattle Division
Date: August 2018
Position Purpose: Assists the Assistant Store Director in directing the operation of the
Grocery Department, including supervising and training personnel. Assists in ordering,
receiving, backroom organization, stocking and merchandising. May direct and control the
operation of the entire store in the absence of the Store Director and the Assistant Store
Key Responsibilities & Accountabilities:
· Handles customer relations in a positive manner, including effective resolution of
customer complaints. Promotes the Company's philosophy of personalized service.
· Performs ordering, receiving, backroom organization, pricing, stocking and merchandising
duties. Assists the Assistant Store Director in planning, organizing and directing day-today
operations of the grocery department, including recommendations regarding regular
and seasonal merchandise requirements and special sales needs. Assists in
implementing Company and Division merchandising policies and/or Store Director
· May act as back up checker/cashier. Engages in suggestive selling and other sales
· Prepares "to do list" for night stockers, closes out discontinued items and implements
price changing procedures if needed.
· Controls shrink.
· Prevents the sale of out of code products.
· Ensures compliance with Company sanitation, safety, security and other policies.
Recommends corrective action as needed. Implements emergency procedures in the
event of equipment and computer software malfunctions.
· Responsible for the overall operation of the store including supervision of all associates
and the handling of customer complaints, in the absence of the Store Director and the
Assistant Store Director.
· May perform duties of the ICC/Receiving Clerk in their absence.
· Responsible for performing all job duties with accuracy, honesty and integrity.
· Other necessary and required duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Page 2 of 3
Job Description -- Grocery Manager
Skills and Physical Requirements:
· Retail background with prior management experience related to retail operations
· Requires a thorough understanding of overall Company practices, policies and
· Requires strong written and oral communication skills, good leadership and interpersonal
skills, the proven ability to manage and develop people, and the ability to maintain
composure in dealing with customers, vendors and co-workers. Ability to be a team
player. Ability to supervise employees assigned. Knowledge of employment laws and
workplace practices policies is required. Requires knowledge and compliance with state
and federal regulations.
· Friendly, courteous, takes initiative, and maintains composure in dealing with customers,
co-workers and vendors as well as having the ability to concentrate and deal with
interruptions and customer complaints, etc. Interacts effectively with all levels of
personnel, customers, vendors and the public.
· Analytical ability to handle administrative details such as planning, reporting, meeting
operation objectives, scheduling, and supervising. Ability to judge and react to business
activity. Knowledge of basic mathematics and weights and measures. Must have
knowledge of product variety, product location and perishability. Ability to deal with
vendors, customers, the public and government agencies. Ability to work at different
times of the day, weekends and holidays and with little or no supervision.
· Must possess a thorough knowledge of checkstand scanning and loss prevention
procedures. Must be able to operate ordering equipment.
· Knowledge and ability to implement emergency procedures in the event of a disaster or
equipment or computer software malfunctions.
· Ability to stand and walk for long periods of time.
· Frequently reaches, lifts, stacks and maneuvers objects of varying dimensions and
weights up to approximately 80 lbs. May climb ladders.
· Ability to properly stack, operate fully loaded hand trucks, six-wheel carts and pallet jacks.
Manual dexterity and good eye-hand coordination. Mental alertness to ensure safe and
accurate completion of work activities.
· May utilize cleaning supplies and chemicals and safety cutters.
· Complies with all Company policies including attendance, grooming standards and dress
· Exposure to potential hazards exists with respect to equipment and work aids necessary
to perform job duties throughout the Grocery Department.
Page 3 of 3
Job Description -- Grocery Manager
· Exposure to 35° Fahrenheit while handling products in cold cases, 28° Fahrenheit in the
cooler and -20° Fahrenheit in the freezer.
· Working conditions consist of a temperature controlled store environment. Exposure to
varying temperatures while working in the loading and receiving area. Occasional
exposure to outdoor environment when checking store perimeters and conducting
business off premises.
Safety -- Sensitive Position:
Job responsibilities include tasks or duties that could affect the safety or health of the
employee performing the task or others.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature of work performed by
employees assigned to this job. If you have questions or you wish to request an
accommodation to perform the essential functions of this job, please contact your Store
Director. All team members must comply with Company, Division, and Store policies
and applicable laws. The responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so
classified may vary within each store and from store to store.