The Deli Clerk is responsible for waiting on and servicing customers at the Deli service
counter. He/she is responsible for following the customer satisfaction behaviors, to
include being friendly, responsive, knowledgeable and passionate. This includes the use
of slicers and entering PLUs manually into the scales. He/she is responsible for
packaging product in plastic bags when necessary. Product is handed directly to the
customer across the counter. He/she must have excellent customer service skills, as they
are usually working one on one with customers. He/she must also fill products into the
service case, self-service cases, and other display areas and may take down product at
night. Deli clerks also do preparation of food products including both cold and hot foods
as well as cooked and uncooked foods. He/she must maintain product quality by
reviewing codes and rotating product. He/she must maintain the deli area in a
clean/sanitary and visually appealing manner.
• This position reports to: Deli Manager, Assistant Deli Manager
Position(s) that report directly to this position: Full time clerks may supervise, train, and
develop part time clerks when assigned.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Work in a courteous manner in a fast paced multi functional environment with other
people or alone.
• Assist in increasing sales by utilizing the five steps of retail selling – Connect with the
customer; qualify the customer; present solutions; closing the sale and create a customer
• Operate deli-slicing equipment. This requires significant repetitive motion.
• Wait on customers from behind deli service cases, process verbal orders (including
weighing and pricing), and deliver orders to customer from across the counter.
• Must work quickly and carefully while stocking items at a reasonable expectancy (R/E).
• Visually identify product and PLU code; manually enter into the scale for pricing.
• Reading display terminal and other documents when necessary.
• Taking verbal orders over the telephone and writing down pertinent information.
• Placing product into or removing product weighing up to 20 lbs. from refrigerated cases.
• Work safely with electronic slicing equipment, ovens, and other deli related machinery.
• Replenishing product weighing up to 35 lbs. from the cooler to the display case.
• Prepare food product to be displayed in cases (hot chicken, etc).
• Lift and load 5-35 lb cases onto stock carts and push or pull cart to stocking area.
• Interact and communicate with others in a courteous and professional manner including
greeting and thanking customers.
• Deal with some potentially difficult situations (such as dissatisfied customers)
ADDITIONAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Perform seafood clerk functions.
• Preparing special customer requests such as platters.
• Lift and load product weighing up to 70 lbs.
• Sweep, clean up, and sanitize workstation as assigned by supervisor.
• Cleaning and sanitizing equipment, utensils, and other supply items.
• Clean display cases and fill supplies when needed.
• Other duties as assigned.
ASSIGNMENT, REVIEW, AND APPROVAL OF WORK:
• The Deli Manager or Asst. Deli Manager generally assigns the work.
• Deli clerk should review and get approval from his/her supervisor prior to performing
any work that was not previously assigned.
• The Deli Manager generally prepares work schedules on a weekly basis.
RESPONSIBILITY AND DECISION MAKING AUTHORITY:
• Responsible to wait on the customer and provide good customer service including
• Deli clerks should make sure the customer gets exactly what they want (show customer
thickness of slice, etc.).
• Deli clerks are not to leave their assignment without notifying the supervisor on duty.
• Responsible for knowing and understanding all deli specific policies and procedures.
• Responsible for performing their work in a safe and ergonomically correct manner.
• Any unsafe working conditions must be reported to the supervisor on duty immediately.
RELATIONS WITH OTHERS:
• Must be able to relate to the following in a courteous and professional manner:
o Store Management
o Other people with whom they have contact while on duty
KNOWLEDGE AND BACKGROUND REQUIRED:
• Must be at least 18 years old.
• Excellent customer service skills.
• On the job training is provided.
KNOWLEDGE AND BACKGROUND DESIRED:
• Prior food handling experience.
• Ability to work quickly and accurately.
• High school graduate or currently enrolled in school.
• Stores are usually open 7 days a week.
• Part time associates usually work between 8 and 36 hours a week.
• Full time associates usually work 40 hours a week.
• Retail store conditions are generally dry with moderate temperature.
• Deli clerk requires the performance of repetitive tasks.
• Cooler conditions may be wet or dry, and usually cold.
• Freezer conditions are usually very cold.
• A hair restraint must be worn at all times.
• Associates in the deli are usually scheduled according to peak customer times.
• This may be a part time or full time position.
• This is considered an entry-level position.
• Significant Food safety awareness is required in this position.
• It is important to understand that all deli clerks must have the ability to deal with some
potentially difficult situations (such as dissatisfied customers) to perform this position in
a satisfactory manner.
This position and job description are subject to change, with or without notice. The inclusion of specific duties and
responsibilities in this job description is not intended to exclude other duties and responsibilities: From time to time
the associate may be assigned duties and/or responsibilities in addition to or different than those set forth above.
This job description, alone or considered together with other written or verbal statements of the Company or its
representatives, is not a contract of employment, nor does it change the at-will status of any associate of Shaw’s