The Director of Real Estate represents the Company in strategic real estate decisions and transactions within their assigned operating region. The Director has primary leadership responsibility for driving strategies and store growth opportunities within their region, optimizing the regional real estate portfolio, evaluating store expansions, and redevelopment projects and makes recommendations to the region VP, division leadership and executive management. In addition, the Director will assist in guiding surplus property marketing efforts, negotiations, and finalizing deals for asset dispositions and other assigned initiatives.
* Principal driver and owner of new store initiatives and execution of store development strategies across the region. Duties include a leading role in site review and acquisition, due diligence, entitlements, legal documentation, project coordination, tracking, and reporting on applicable project management systems.
* Leads team of 3-4 Sr. Real Estate Managers in established divisions/territories and ensures delivery of their annual goals and objectives. Coaches and mentors Sr. Real Estate Managers and Real Estate Analysts.
* Leads and oversees development and updating of annual 3 year strategic plans in each operating division.
* Takes ownership and lead responsibility for development of comprehensive strategic real estate plans for the region. Not only sees the big picture, but develops a strategy, obtains division and executive support, and executes the strategy.
* Initiates and completes real estate transactions of varying types and degrees of difficulty including self-development and mixed-use redevelopment projects.
* Works closely with the design and planning team, and construction manager to timely obtain governmental approvals and complete store openings. Represents the Company in discussions and negotiations with planning commissions, city councils, planning departments and other public agencies. Acts as a primary contact for inquiries regarding information on the project.
* Stays well versed on market dynamics in assigned region including current and future changes to: public infrastructure, competition and demographics. Understands basic sales forecasting methodologies including gravity and analogue models.
* Understands and abides by company policies broadly, as well as those relative to the production of legal documents.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
* Bachelor's degree required with emphasis in Real Estate, Finance, or General Business. MBA preferred.
* 10-15 years of increasing responsibilities and relevant experience in corporate retail real estate, shopping center development with grocery experience a plus.
Skills and Experiences:
Strategy and Planning
* Strategic, forward looking thought leader with ability to develop, shape, and influence real estate plans and strategy.
* Proactive self-starter with an owner/investor/developer attitude with great instincts for value.
* Superior expertise in real estate concepts including complicated financial models, negotiations, and documentation, with the experience to close deals with limited supervision.
* Has built and established a broad real estate network which enables them to be resourceful and arrive at solutions quickly.
* Knowledge of local and regional real estate activities.
* Knowledge of land use regulations and the political and governmental processes governing real estate development.
* Creates, manages, and executes the development plan to meet portfolio returns and goals.
* Maintains command of details including project status and ability to drive projects to successful conclusion.
* Working knowledge of design and construction processes including fixture plans, site plans, project schedules and development plans.
Leadership and Communication
* Excellent communication skills both written and verbal.
* Demonstrated skills and experience in coaching and leading 3-6 real estate dealmakers. Reviews, recommends, and submits presentation packages for executive approval.
* Ability to partner with and influence executive management.
* Team player able to lead internal and external teams in a fast-paced grocery real estate environment.
* Integrity and professionalism to represent the Company's interests and needs to outside investors, professionals, and vendors as well as teammates.
* Always acts in a professional and timely manner and continually delivers exceptional customer service.
* Seasoned and well-honed financial skills able to apply financial modeling techniques and critical analytical frameworks to solve for effective real estate decisions and outcomes.
* Experienced deal-maker with strong negotiation skills and the ability to negotiate
multimillion dollar transactions to a successful conclusion.
Computer Related skills
* Expertise in MS Office: Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, and web-based mapping and tracking software developed internally to analyze, quantify, and recommend transactions.
* 35% -- 70% travel depending upon assigned region
The following attempts to communicate the traditional physical demands associated with this position:**
Seldom: 1-2 hours, Occasional: 3-4 hours, Frequent: 5-6 hours, Continuous: 7+ hours (Based on an 8 hour work day.)
* Squat/Kneel: Continuous
* Bend/Stoop: Continuous
* Lift/Carry: Occasional lift/carry 1-50 lbs.
* Push/Pull: Occasional, push/pull 1-50 lbs.
* Twist/Turn: Frequent
* Grip/Grasp: Frequent
* Reach: Continuous
* Stand/Walk: Continuous
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by associates assigned to this job classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and skills required of personnel so classified.