POSITION SUMMARY: The Registered Nurse (RN) in the Emergency Department is responsible for the overall nursing care, including triage and discharge of patients in a safe and timely manner. POSITION QUALIFICATIONS:
- High School diploma and Graduate of an accredited school of nursing.
- Current Idaho professional RN license.
- Three (3) year medical/surgical nursing experience as RN or comparable nursing experience with focus on triage, nursing assessment and treatment with experience working under pressure required.
- Three (3) year emergency nursing experience as a professional nurse preferred.
- Basic EKG interpretation, preferred (required within six (6) months).
- ACLS & TNCC & CPR/BLS certification required.
- ENPC or PALS certification preferred.
- Per diem works 0 to 40 hrs per week.
- Shifts are 12 hrs from 6 to 6 both days and nights
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES/REQUIREMENTS:
- Assesses patients on presentation to the Emergency Department and administers triage first aid as indicated.
- Determines the patient’s priority of care and places the patient in the appropriate care area.
- Establish IV lines, administers IV therapy, blood, subcutaneous and oral medications.
- Demonstrates knowledge and use of equipment, including, but not limited to, cardiac monitor with defibrillator and external pacer, wall suction/oxygen equipment, pulse oximeter, glucose monitor systems, nurse call and alarm systems, suctions systems, IV pumps and Emergency Department gurneys.
- Documents in Electronic Health Records (EHR) the patient presenting complaint symptoms, onset of problem or mechanism of injury, past medical history, vital signs, allergies, current medications, primary, secondary assessments and other pertinent information.
- Coordinates patient care with the attending physician and addresses, with supporting documentation, any questions or concerns regarding a patient’s care to the physician.
- Evaluates and documents effectiveness of nursing and medical interventions; documents re-assessments as appropriate.
- Educates patient and family regarding the patient’s illness or injury. Keeps the family or significant other informed of the patient’s status and progress in the Emergency Department.
- Prioritizes presenting problems to be handled during shift
- Addresses shift personnel in a professional and positive manner regarding problem solving and conflict resolution.
- Displays flexibility and ability to alter priority of care depending on changes in the patient’s condition or additional patients presenting to the Emergency Department.
- Performs procedures and treatments ordered for patients within the nurse practice act.
- Completion of comprehensive charting and administrative aspects of shift, including but not limited to, charge sheets, staff communication book, shift inspection/checks and equipment quality control checks.
- Demonstrates role as patient advocate regarding patient rights.
- Develops plan for the patient’s discharge or coordinates the patient’s admission or transfer.
- Validates and documents the patient understanding of follow-up and discharge instructions.
- Communicates to Emergency Department Manager any complaints, problems, occurrences, deterioration of patient status or personnel problems immediately.
- Receives and places confidential information with courtesy, accuracy and respect at all times.
- Maintains required education credits as per facility policy with an emphasis on emergency and critical care topics.
- Responsible to know CAH policies and procedures
- Promotes positive and effective communication between all team members and hospital staff.
- Demonstrates public relations and customer service skills during direct or telephone contact with patients, families and visitors.
- Completes Care Learning annually and keeps current CPR certification and PPD.
- Must wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) as situations require to maintain Infection Control standards set by the Hospital.
NON-ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES/REQUIREMENTS:
- Assists Nursing Manager of Acute Care and Emergency Department with personnel orientation and staff skills upgrading.
- Must be willing to assist in other areas as the need arises.
- Coordinates the stocking of supplies.
- Performs essential cleaning of patient care equipment.
- Assists with performance improvement monitoring data collection and peer reviews of Emergency Room documentation.
- All other duties as assigned.
Posting ID: 566171863Posted: 2020-08-12