The Guest Services Agent is typically the guest's first interaction with the Hotel so we need to make sure it is consistently a positive one. The Guest Service Agent is under the direct supervision of the Front Office Manager. This position handles both check in and checks out of our guests and at the same time to maintain a high standard of service of guest expectation. The Guest Service Agent is a key member and responsibilities could include the overnight operations of the Hotel, verifying the accuracy of guest accounts, balancing charges and revenues, as well as assisting with all aspects of guest services. Each guest that walks into the Hotel will be welcomed and acknowledged with the highest customer service standards. Based on the team needs, the Guest Service Agent may be required to work a night time shift as a Night Auditor.
To perform this job successfully, and individual must be able to satisfactorily perform all indicated essential functions. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required for this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made for individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Employee must be capable of maintaining regular and on-time attendance.
As a Guest Services Agent, you are responsible for ensuring we provide the highest level of guest service and that our standards are met and maintained at all times. With a combination of a passion for the job and the right communication with other departments, you have the ability and empowerment to make the guest's experience more than memorable. A Guest Services Agent must have a positive and professional upbeat personality with a desire to deliver outstanding customer service to our guests.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
High school or General Educational Development diploma and one to two years of customer service experience. Accounting background is an asset.
LANGUAGE, MATHEMATICAL, SOCIAL AND REASONING SKILLS
• Ability to read, write, and speak English fluently required.
• Ability to read (in English or Spanish) Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) for a variety of chemicals in the hotel, various documents outlining duties and responsibilities of the position. Ability to write log entries.
• Ability to promote positive relationships with guests, visitors and hotel employees. Ability to present a professional appearance and positive attitude at all times.
• Ability to make decisions and carry out detailed procedures and oral instructions during an emergency situation.
• Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform all the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Ability to spend long hours moving around, walking, sitting, standing and crouching while performing other duties including but not limited entering and exiting vehicles. Must be able to multitask, talk and listen simultaneously while guests are present in the lobby. Ability to work well under pressure and perform during emergency situations. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 lbs., frequently lift and/or move up to 25 lbs., and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 lbs.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, vibrating and moving mechanical parts. The employee is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, outside weather conditions, extreme cold, extreme heat, risk of electrical shock, and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
• Answers inquiries over the telephone and in person pertaining to hotel services and registration of guests, registers and assigns rooms to guests.
• Verify room status from housekeeping's report, "Blocks" and assigns rooms for special request and good attention reservations.
• Post all charges to the room folios as soon as they are received.
• Receive and post to the appropriate folio all cash received in payment of room accounts.
• Properly record and post to the appropriate folio all charge payments of room accounts, this includes both credit card charges and city ledger charges.
• Always greet guests in a friendly and professional manner.
• Engage each guest as a unique individual and listen attentively to their requests
• Perform accurate check-ins and check-outs of guests daily
• Answer the telephone in a timely and professional manner
• Manage nightly hotel operations
• Verify revenue from all sources is accurately balanced, follow up on any discrepancies
• Post any transactions needed
• Perform end-of day procedures
• Produce daily reports for departments and department heads
• Compile and run statistical reports for all departments and transfer information to our Accounting department
• Make reservations over the phone and in person and ensure all aspects of the room reservation procedure are followed, including bookings, confirmations and cancellation policies
• Responsible for a cash float throughout your shift and ensuring all floats balance correctly at the end of shift
• Anticipate and address guest's service needs
• Listening to guest's complaints or concerns and resolving their issue in a timely manner
• Promote a safe working environment
• Learn and adhere to all fire and emergency procedures, including procedures for handling of the fire panel, ensuring guest safety and participate in an evacuation if necessary
• Practice safe working habits, including bending and lifting appropriately to avoid injury, reporting hazards, appropriate use of cleaning chemicals and working to minimize tripping hazards
• Keep work area neat and tidy
• Uniform and personal appearance are clean and professional and are in accordance with Hotel Services Group's Grooming Policy
• Offer assistance to all guests and provide them with information requested and directions, escorting the guest whenever possible.
• Understand and comply with all policies and procedures outlined in the hotel's Employee Handbook.
Guests' Rights Functions
• Maintain the confidentiality of all guest information including any documents or other items in your possession. Report inappropriate or potentially illegal issues to supervisor.
• Report guest or visitor requests, complaints and/or comments to supervisor.
Safety & Job Hazards Functions
• Ensure work areas are safe
• Procedures regarding cleaners and hazardous materials or objects are strictly followed.
• Equipment and supplies are properly stored.
• Ensure that the Hotel Incident Report is completed for every incident or accident to self or witnessed of both guests and employees, and submitted to supervisor and General Manager.
• Ensure Infection Control (blood borne pathogen) procedures are followed.
• Ensure Hotel Emergency Procedures are followed.
• Promptly report any hazardous conditions and equipment to the supervisor and Hotel General Manager.
Staff Developments Functions
• Attend Orientation and Safety Training as required
• Participate in training new staff members as requested.
• Attend mandatory staff meetings as requested.
Other duties may become necessary from time-to-time. This document does not serve to limit the position and the employee only to duties that fit within this description. A small hotel must sometimes be resourceful and require that internal departments assist each other during increased business demand periods, inclement weather, emergencies, etc. Examples include, but are not limited to, assisting with snow removal, cleaning dining room tables, washing dishes, planting flowers, and so forth