At Public Lands, we exist to celebrate and protect public lands for all. We believe these national treasures are meant to be explored, protected and celebrated so they may live on for generations. With this in mind, we seek to empower the passionate, to guide the curious and to celebrate the courageous on their journey to thrive outside. Our mission grounds us in the communities we serve and drives our commitment to inspire and enable a diverse community of people to experience the profound power of the outdoors, either in their backyards or in our nation’s public lands. We are also committed to our unmatched set of standards for environmental practices.
At the core of our brand is a dedication to provide products and experiences to any explorer in an effort to grow the number of people who love and seek to protect our public lands. We are driven to meet each explorer where they are in their journey, and to do it with an unapologetic commitment to style, quality and service. Our retail locations are designed to inspire and fuel a need to get outside. Our team lives and breathes for their next adventure, no matter how big or small. We are outdoor humans – connected by a common passion, shared experiences and style that is all our own.
We are looking for a General Manager to lead one of our retail store locations. The ideal candidate for the role is a purpose driven business leader, one who creates results by staying true to our values, our mission and our commitment to protecting public lands. The General Manager will act as the face of the Public Lands brand to our community. The General Manager will be a brand advocate. We are looking for an experienced retail leader who can connect with our customers, inspire our teammates and empower our communities to get outside.
Business Development and Management
- Responsible for meeting budgets in the areas of sales, expense, all Profit & Loss (P&L) categories, metrics and overall store contribution. Drives the overall financial performance of the store by utilizing reporting tools and implementing strategies/tactics designed to improve store performance.
- Actively monitor and assess the competitive landscape. Develop strategies to take advantage of opportunities and overcome potential gaps. Leverage relationships with leadership across field, DC and corporate to implement strategies.
- Make decisions, rooted in data, to drive sales, profitability and inventory productivity. Monitor results closely and adjust as needed to ensure success.
- Act with purpose in all decision making. Demonstrate commitment to sustainability, conservation, access and equity when developing strategies.
Brand Expansion and Positioning
- Relentlessly focus on developing and maintaining a culture where discussion about environmental issues, public lands protection and opening the outdoors to all is not only taking place but is prioritized.
- Partner closely with the Community Manager to develop strategies to engage with local community groups, non-profits and grassroots organizations to establish and enhance the Public Lands brand.
- Act as the face of the brand with local organizations, advocacy groups and public sector by demonstrating activism and commitment to expand access to the outdoors and protect local green spaces. Align local strategies with the larger brand objectives and take action.
- Manage relationships with local and national vendors to expand the reach and mission of the Public Lands brand.
Own the Customer Experience
- Develop and maintain a culture within the store where teammates always act with a customer first point of view. Lead through example and demonstrate service standards, authentic relationship building and a commitment to exceed the customer’s expectations.
- Ensure the on-going training and development of teammates to elevate the customer experience. Teach the basics, then coach, mentor and inspire through actions. Hold the team accountable to deliver.
- Partner with internal partners in learning to continuously expand the product knowledge of teammates. Create engaging experiences and content that drive retention of product features & benefits.
- Work collaboratively with the Visual, In Store Environment and Marketing teams to create product storytelling and visually unique experiences that enhance the overall store atmosphere.
Drive Operational Excellence
- Ensure compliance and adherence to policies and procedures, standards and practices, and company directives.
- Develop written operating plans to plan, organize and control the operational workload for the store. Manage execution responsibilities and workload of direct/indirect reports (teams of 50+) to achieve business results, a high-level of customer satisfaction and operational deliverables on time and with quality.
- Partner with Loss Prevention and HR to identify trends within the location and develop strategies to mitigate risk, shrink and teammate turnover. Implement strategies to protect company assets through relentless improvement.
- Effectively plan for and manage the store labor process. Ensure appropriate distribution of labor hours to maximize ROI and ensure customer satisfaction.
Develop Talent and Drive Teammate Engagement
- Engage regularly with HR Partner to manage all talent related activities within the store. Leverage the relationship to drive succession and workforce planning, development activities, employee relations concerns and performance management.
- Build a high performing team. Provide direct/indirect reports with timely and regular feedback to support teammate development, growth in role and job satisfaction. Recognize and reward good performance and address poor performance.
- Drive the talent selection process in alignment with the company’s talent philosophy for all open positions; this includes reviewing resumes, interviewing and making hiring decisions. Ensure all hires are appropriately trained and on-boarded.
- Demonstrate a high level of passion and commitment to enhancing the overall teammate experience by displaying integrity, inclusion and empowering direct/indirect reports to be their best.
- Display a commitment to creating a work environment where inclusion and diversity are paramount to success. Create a store environment where all teammates and customer feel welcome, included and respected.
- 5+ years of retail/hospitality/customer service experience in a fast-paced environment, 3+ years of retail management experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Management, Communications or related area or 5+ years of relevant Store Leadership experience preferred
- World-class customer service skill and interpersonal/communication skills
- Ability to analyze data and draw relevant conclusions in a dynamic and complex business environment
- Proficient computer skills including word processing, spreadsheets, and software programs
- Strong focus on teammate development that aligns and supports the company culture and talent philosophy
- A well-connected network within the larger outdoor community, the DSG organization or within the specific market of store
- True passion for the outdoors and getting others outside. Knowledge of issues pertaining to the environment and public lands, or willingness to learn
- A passion for relentless improvement, embracing and driving positive change
- Flexible availability – including nights, weekend, and holidays
- Quarterly and Annual Bonus Programs
- Annual Equity Grant Eligibility
Public Lands is an Equal Opportunity Employer Committed to Inclusion and Diversity.
Posting ID: 606633262Posted: 2021-02-15