The EH&S Manager is a member of the Decorah leadership team and participates in various cross-functional teams. This position has responsibility of managing, developing and implementing safety and industrial hygiene programs designed to minimize the frequency and severity of workplace injuries and illnesses. Plan and administer policies relating to all phases of environmental health and safety by performing the below duties. Ensure facility compliance with federal, state and local EH&S laws and regulations. Implement and execute the company's EH&S programs and operation-specific programs at the plant level. Reduce facility EH&S liability related to present and future operations. Manage workers' compensation program and coordinate with the workers' compensation carrier contact. Manage facility loss control issues. Provide technical and regulatory assistance to all Decorah Operations' employees while maintaining a matrix reporting to site and to corporate leader.Essential Job Functions
Essential Skills & Experience
- Collaborate with management in creation and implementation of EH&S programs and activities.
- Perform accident investigations to decrease/minimize company liability and losses and develop programs to prevent such accidents and injuries from recurring.
- Maintain company EPA hazardous waste records
- Conduct or arrange for wastewater and air emission sampling and other field activities within the plant as needed.
- Provide assurance to the facility manager that the plant complies with applicable EH&S laws and regulations. Compliance duties include, but are not limited to:
- Identify, track and resolve plant EH&S non-compliance issues and report status on an as needed basis to the company EH&S Director for inclusion in the Risk Management Issues Tracking Program (RMITP).
- Ensure that all appropriate plant employees receive required training.
- Ensure that all required written programs (e.g., SPCC/Storm Water Pollution Protection Plan "SWPPP", hazard communication, contingency plan, lockout/tagout, waste minimization plan, hearing conservation, blood-borne pathogens, etc.) are properly documented.
- Prepare permit applications, ensure compliance with permit limits, monitor and maintain any records required by permit.
- Implement EH&S programs as required by the company's policies and procedures and plant requirements.
- Function as a technical consultant to the plant for EH&S issues (i.e., demonstrating basic technical understanding relative to chemical fate, waste management, industrial hygiene, health & safety issues, air pollution control, wastewater treatment, noise sampling, air quality sampling, etc.).
- Be the main point of contact between the plant and Corporate EH&S team regarding key EH&S issues and during discussions, negotiations with EH&S regulatory agencies (i.e. during inspections, permit renewals).
- Support plant purchasing department (and minimize risk of future liability) as needed by:
- Selecting commercial hazardous waste treatment, storage and disposal facilities, analytical labs and engineering consultants that are under contract with the company.
- Providing technical review of project proposals submitted by environmental consulting firms.
- Implement State required environment, safety and health programs, Ergonomics, Hearing Conservation, First Responders, etc.
- Develop safety policies/procedures, benchmarks safety programs and techniques to enhance the workplace safety
- Complete the EPA "Community Right To Know" SARA Section 313 Form R Toxic Release reports. Collect data, prepare and submit reports to federal, state and local authorities.
- Evaluate all plant expansions and/or process modifications. Review capital appropriation requests for EH&S impacts and any regulatory requirements.
- Coordinate with Supply Chain to make arrangements for waste disposal pickups as required. Be responsible for the maintenance of disposal records and ensure all shipments of hazardous and non-hazardous waste are properly manifested and labeled.
- Report Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA) allegations as appropriate to the corporate EH&S leadership and the local company leadership.
- Work with the workers' compensation TPA to bring cases to a satisfactory resolution.
- Coordinate medical/health evaluations of employees as related to EH&S as mandated by regulatory agencies or corporate policy.
- Coordinate the resolution of loss control recommendation with plant management and the company director of EH&S.
- Conduct EH&S training and orientation programs to improve employee education and effectiveness.
- Maintain Safety Data Sheets (SDS) on hazardous materials used in the workplace.
- Conduct routine safety and environmental inspections.
- Maintain OSHA required records on accidents.
- Ensure compliance with all the laws and regulations related to environmental health and safety (including all permits required such as air permits)
- Work with operations to develop solutions to safety and hygiene problems, including engineering and policy solutions.
- Develop incentive programs that reward safety.
- Maintain safety contingency plans (fires, spills, tornado, etc.)
- Respond to inquiries regarding EH&S policies, procedures, and programs.
- Represent organization at employee-related hearings and investigations surrounding environmental and safety issues.
- Administer and maintain company EH&S policies.
- Participate in the site's planning and budgeting process to identify EH&S capital and expense needs.
- Ensure effective associate relations through efficient communication skills.
- Organize and facilitate the EH&S internal audit team and ensures routine audits are conducted.
- Knowledge of IATF16949 certification.
Preferred Knowledge & Skills:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent prior work experience in EH&S role
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in a manufacturing environment
- Strong knowledge of OSHA and EPA rules and regulations
- Team based work philosophy and experience leading associates
- Experience in manufacturing environment
- Knowledge of and experience with ISO14001
- Excellent communication skills
- Self-motivated individual
- Demonstrates an intermediate ability level using Microsoft Office Excel, Word, Power Point
- Results driven with emphasis on keeping customer and business commitments
- Consistently demonstrates highest level of personal ethical conduct
- Demonstrates trust in team members and celebrates success
- Influences through setting examples
- Skilled in problem resolution and providing best practices solutions
- Knowledge of OHAS18001 certification
- Certified Safety Professional or Certified Hazardous Material Mgr
- Professional accreditation's of Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH)
#Elu#LI-BF1 Requisition Number
Environmental Health & Safety City
All qualified applicants to Stanley Black & Decker are considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran's status or any other protected characteristic.Featured Category on SBD Careers
Posting ID: 560719235Posted: 2020-11-25